Thanksgiving preparations

The game had been nothing short of amazing. The boys dominated the field, crushing the opposing team, and the energy from the crowd was electric. Emily had led the cheer squad with precision, and the stunts were flawless. Everything had come together perfectly—on the field and on the sidelines.

Over the next few days, the excitement from the win still lingered, but the pace of life on campus began to slow as everyone prepared for Thanksgiving break. Before Emily knew it, she was in her dorm room, packing her bag for the trip to Jake's family home, while Maya did the same for her trip with Marcus.

Maya folded a sweater into her suitcase, glancing over at Emily. "I can't believe we're both leaving tomorrow," she said with a hint of sadness. "I'm really going to miss you."

Emily smiled, zipping up her bag. "I'll miss you too, but I'm glad you'll be with Marcus. It'll be nice to have some quiet time with him."

Maya grinned, but then her expression shifted to something more serious. "Honestly though, I'm just really glad you're not going to be here alone. It makes me feel better knowing you'll be with Jake. You're excited, right?"

Emily sat on the edge of her bed, sighing. "Yeah, I am. I mean, his family sounds amazing. But I can't help but feel a little nervous. Things between Jake and me... I don't know, it's weird. We've been spending all this time together, and he's been so sweet, but we haven't really talked about what's going on between us. No labels, no clarity. I just... I don't know where we stand."

Maya nodded, closing her suitcase and sitting down next to Emily. "I get that. But Em, you've got to talk to him about it. You deserve to know. You don't want to head into this break still feeling confused."

"I know, I know," Emily replied, rubbing her temples. "I'm just scared it's going to be awkward, or that I'll ruin everything if I push for more. What if I bring it up and he doesn't feel the same way?"

Maya shook her head. "Girl, I've seen the way he looks at you. Trust me, he's into you. But you have to talk to him before it's too late. You can't keep avoiding the conversation. Just get it off your chest."

Emily smiled at Maya's encouragement, feeling a little more at ease. She opened her mouth to say something, but Maya suddenly interrupted her, a mischievous smile spreading across her face. "Speaking of getting things off your chest..."

"What?" Emily asked, raising an eyebrow.

Maya's face flushed slightly, but she was grinning ear to ear. "Marcus and I... we, uh... we had sex last night. After the game."

Emily's eyes widened, a mixture of surprise and excitement flooding her face. "Oh my God! Maya! That's huge! How was it?"

Maya leaned back against the wall, her expression turning dreamy. "It was... honestly, magical. It just felt right, you know? We were both so connected, and I don't know how to explain it, but it was more than just physical. I think I'm falling in love with him."

Emily's heart warmed at Maya's words. She had never seen her best friend so smitten before. "Maya, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you! I knew things between you two were serious, but this... this is next level."

Maya nodded, her smile softening. "Yeah, it is. I never thought I'd be in this place, but Marcus... he's just different. He makes me feel safe and loved. And I think he feels the same way."

Emily grinned, squeezing Maya's hand. "I'm so glad, Maya. You deserve this. I'm really happy for you."

"Thanks, Em," Maya said, her eyes twinkling. "But enough about me. Seriously, you've got to talk to Jake. Don't let the unknown keep eating away at you. If I can do this with Marcus, you can do it with Jake."

Emily nodded, feeling a little more confident. Maya was right. If she didn't speak up, she'd never know where things stood between them. And deep down, she wanted more—more than just the occasional kisses on the forehead and hand-holding. She wanted to know if Jake saw her the way she saw him.

The girls chatted a bit longer, laughing and sharing their excitement for the break ahead. By the time they finished packing, the air in the dorm room was filled with anticipation. Both of them were on the verge of new beginnings—Emily with Jake, and Maya with Marcus.

As they settled in for the night, Emily couldn't help but feel a flicker of excitement for what was to come, but also the nerves of knowing she would have to finally confront the feelings she'd been bottling up for weeks.