Homeward bound

The next morning, the hospital room was filled with the soft light of early dawn, illuminating Jake's face as he stirred awake. Emily was already sitting at his bedside, her heart racing with anticipation for the day ahead. A few moments later, Jake's parents walked in, their faces lighting up at the sight of their son.

"Good morning, Jake!" his mom beamed, rushing to his side and pulling him into a gentle embrace. "How are you feeling today?"

"Better, I think," he replied, a smile spreading across his face. "And I have some good news?"

"What is it?" Emily asked, her excitement bubbling over.

"Dr. Thompson just cleared me to go home! I'm being discharged today!" Jake's enthusiasm was contagious, and Emily could hardly contain her joy.

Jake's parents exchanged relieved glances. "That's wonderful! We'll get you home as soon as we can," his dad said, already making arrangements with the nurse.

Once the paperwork was completed, Jake's parents offered to drive Emily and Jake back to campus since they lived five hours away. "We couldn't possibly leave you both here," his mom insisted, her eyes filled with concern and warmth.

Emily and Jake agreed, grateful for the ride and the company. As they left the hospital, Emily felt a wave of relief wash over her. Jake was going to be okay.

During the drive, Jake received the discharge instructions from the doctor: no physical activity for a week. The news hit him hard, and Emily could see the disappointment etched on his face. He was addicted to sports, and the thought of being sidelined for even a moment was killing him inside.

"Hey," Emily said softly, reaching over to squeeze his hand. "I'll make sure you follow doctor's orders. I'll be right by your side, keeping you entertained."

Jake chuckled, grateful for her support. "I'm going to need you to make sure I don't sneak out to practice or anything."

"I promise to keep an eye on you," she said, smiling. "We can binge-watch movies, play games... whatever you need."

When they arrived at Jake's college house, he turned to her, a hint of vulnerability in his eyes. "Will you stay with me tonight?" he asked, his voice quiet.

Emily hesitated. "I'd love to, but I have to get up early for lectures and I have a meeting with Coach about my work experience," she explained. "Plus, I have cheer practice, so I won't be back until late."

Jake's face fell slightly, disappointment flashing in his eyes. "Oh. I understand. I just... I'd really like to have you here."

"I'll be back as soon as I can, I promise," she reassured him, leaning in to kiss his cheek. "We'll make the most of tonight, I swear."

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm glow in Jake's room, they got cozy in bed with a takeout pizza. The two settled in, surrounded by the comforting smell of cheesy goodness and the warmth of each other's presence.

"So," Jake said, taking a bite of his pizza, "tell me more about your brother. I remember you mentioned he's in the military."

Emily's heart sank at the mention of her brother. The mood shifted instantly, and she took a deep breath. "Yeah, he enlisted right after high school," she began, her voice shaking slightly. "We've always been really close, and he was my rock when things got tough at home."

"What do you mean?" Jake asked, his tone softening.

"My parents are always traveling for work, especially since my brother went into the military. We haven't heard from him since just before I started college," she admitted, tears welling up in her eyes. "It's just... hard not knowing if he's okay. I worry about him all the time."