chapter 23

It had been a week since Abhiman’s thoughtful surprise, and while Jeevika felt lighter, the questions about her stepmother, Kamini, still haunted her. The puzzle of Janvi's birth and Kamini’s mysterious past seemed more tangled than ever. Jeevika couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something bigger going on, and it was linked to her mother’s death.

One evening, as Abhiman worked late in his study, Jeevika sat by the window, staring at the old photographs she had found of her family. She couldn’t help but think of all the pieces that didn’t fit together. Her father had been distant after her mother’s death, and Kamini's sudden presence in their lives had always felt wrong. The timeline of Janvi’s birth—something was off.

She remembered the old nurse from the hospital who had hinted at something about Kamini’s pregnancy. “Kamini ke saath kuch ajeeb tha uss waqt,” the nurse had said. But before Jeevika could press her for more details, the conversation had been interrupted.

Jeevika's mind raced as she pieced together everything she knew. Could Janvi be someone else's daughter? Is that why Kamini was so eager to marry my father?

Just then, the door to the room creaked open, and Abhiman walked in. He looked exhausted but still managed to smile when he saw her sitting by the window.

“Jaan, kya soch rahi ho?” he asked softly, coming up behind her and placing his hands on her shoulders.

Jeevika snapped out of her thoughts, quickly closing the photo album. “Kuch nahi, bas aise hi. Tum itni der tak kaam kar rahe ho? Thak gaye hoge.”

Abhiman bent down, kissing the top of her head. “Tumhari wajah se sab kuch aasaan lagta hai. Tum meri energy ho.”

She smiled faintly, leaning into his touch, but the weight of the secrets she was carrying still hung heavy over her. She didn’t want to burden him with her suspicions just yet. He had enough on his plate, and she wasn’t sure what the truth was herself.

But Abhiman wasn’t blind. He noticed the way she had been distant, even after their romantic evening. “Jeevika, mujhe pata hai tum kuch chhupa rahi ho,” he said gently, sitting beside her and taking her hand in his. “Agar tum mujhe batana nahi chahti toh theek hai, lekin yaad rakhna, main hamesha tumhare saath hoon.”

Jeevika’s heart clenched at his words. She looked into his eyes, seeing the concern and love there. She wanted to tell him everything, but she couldn’t. Not yet.

“I know, Abhi,” she whispered, squeezing his hand. “Main bas thoda confused hoon... kuch cheezein samajh nahi aa rahi. Lekin jab time sahi hoga, main tumhe sab kuch bataungi.”

Abhiman searched her face for a moment before nodding, trusting her even though he could see she was troubled. He leaned in and kissed her forehead, his silent promise to stand by her no matter what.

---

The next day, Jeevika decided it was time to dig deeper into her stepmother’s past. She couldn’t sit idly by while the truth dangled just out of reach. She called the hospital again, hoping to speak to the same nurse.

“Main Sister Meera se baat karna chahti hoon,” she said, her voice firm.

After a long wait, the nurse finally came on the line. “Jeevika beta, tumhe phir se kuch aur poochhna hai?”

“Haan, Sister. Aapne last time kaha tha ke Kamini ke pregnancy ke baare mein kuch ajeeb tha. Aap please thoda aur bata sakti hain?”

The old nurse sighed, as if reluctant to speak but also knowing that Jeevika deserved the truth. “Beta, Kamini ki shaadi toh tumhare papa se baad mein hui thi, lekin jab woh hospital aayi thi pehli baar, tab woh already pregnant thi.”

Jeevika’s heart skipped a beat. “Lekin unhone toh kaha tha ke Janvi unke pehle pati ki beti hai…”

“Nahi, beta. Woh jo pehla pati tha, uske saath toh shaadi sirf dikhawa tha. Kamini kaafi influential logon ke saath rehti thi uss waqt. Tumhare papa ka naam unhone baad mein use kiya apni life set karne ke liye.”

Jeevika’s blood ran cold as the pieces started to fall into place. Kamini had lied. Janvi wasn’t her first husband’s daughter. But if that was the case, then who was Janvi’s real father? And how did all of this tie into her mother’s death?

“Sister, kya aapko pata hai Janvi ke real father kaun hai?” Jeevika asked, her voice shaking.

“Yeh toh main nahi keh sakti, beta. Lekin tumhe apne papa ke purane doston aur unki company ke logon se baat karni chahiye. Wahi tumhe asal sach batayenge.”

Jeevika thanked the nurse and hung up, her mind spinning. She felt sick to her stomach. Her father had been deceived by Kamini, and her mother’s death might have been a part of this larger conspiracy.

---

That night, as she lay in bed beside Abhiman, her mind raced with thoughts of what she had learned. She couldn’t keep this from him for long. The truth was coming out, and it was bigger than she had imagined.

Abhiman turned to her, sensing her unease. “Tum theek ho, Jeevika?”

She looked at him, torn between her desire to protect him from the mess of her family’s secrets and her need to confide in him. “Main tumhe sab kuch bataungi, Abhi. Bas thoda aur waqt do.”

Abhiman kissed her softly. “Jitna bhi waqt chahiye tumhe, Jeevika. Main hamesha yahin hoon.”

And for the first time in days, she felt a small sense of relief, knowing that no matter what storm was coming, Abhiman would be right by her side.