Chapter 44

After breakfast, the usual morning routine unfolds. The girls happily run off to the playroom, their laughter echoing faintly down the hall, leaving you, Severus, and Lucius in the kitchen.

Baron, ever your little shadow, refuses to join his sisters, instead climbing up onto your lap as if sensing the tension in the room. His tiny hands grab at your clothes, and you hold him close, feeling the warmth of his small body grounding you as the inevitable conversation looms.

Lucius sits nearby, his demeanor calm but watchful, while Severus, standing with his arms crossed, keeps his gaze fixed on you, his frustration still simmering just beneath the surface. The atmosphere is thick with unspoken words, but you know this conversation needs to happen.

You take a deep breath, keeping your voice steady and your gaze firm as you speak. "I didn't do anything wrong," you say, holding your ground. "I needed some space. I needed to breathe."

Severus narrows his eyes slightly, his posture tense. "Turning off your tracker was reckless," he replies, his voice tight. "It's not just about wanting space—it's about safety."

"I'm not a prisoner," you respond sharply, keeping Baron secure on your lap. "I have a right to go out with my friends without feeling like I'm being watched every second. The tracker... it feels like you don't trust me."

Lucius watches quietly, his eyes flicking between you and Severus. "It's not a matter of trust," Severus insists, though his tone softens slightly. "It's about protecting you. You know the risks."

You shake your head, not willing to let him sidestep your point. "I know the risks, but I also know when I'm being suffocated. You both say it's for my safety, but it feels more like control."

There's a moment of silence as your words sink in. Severus's expression remains unreadable, while Lucius finally speaks up, his voice calm but firm. "She's right, Severus. We've had this discussion before—she deserves some freedom."

Severus shifts slightly, his jaw tightening as he listens, but you can see that Lucius's words carry weight, at least softening the intensity of the moment.

You continue, holding Baron a little closer as you lean forward. "I'm not saying I don't appreciate what you're trying to do, but you have to trust me. I did nothing wrong. I needed a night out. That's it."

Severus's gaze softens just a fraction, but the tension still lingers. "We'll figure out a balance," he says finally, his tone quieter, though the frustration hasn't entirely faded. "But it's not as simple as just giving you freedom."

"I don't want to be constantly monitored," you reply firmly. "That's what I need you both to understand."

Lucius leans forward slightly, his expression softening as he meets your eyes. "I understand that, Princess," he says gently, his voice a balm amidst the tension. There's a calmness in the way he speaks, as if trying to bridge the gap between you and Severus.

Severus, however, isn't as easily swayed. His arms remain crossed, and though his gaze has softened a bit, there's still frustration simmering beneath the surface. "It's not about monitoring you like a prisoner," he says, his voice quieter but still edged with tension. "I just... I worry about you. But you don't seem to care about my feelings or how it makes me feel when you do things like this."

His words hit you harder than expected, the vulnerability behind his frustration becoming clearer. He's not just upset about control—it's the fear, the worry that drives his need to keep tabs on you. But even as you hear the pain in his voice, you can't help but feel your own frustration rise. This dynamic, this constant push and pull, wears on you.