Divorced Baby Shower

I'm trying to make Dickie out as not a bad guy this time around. I'm also trying to get to a point where Kathy and Elliot can divorce in a nice way. Whether or not it happens like that is a different story. 

Also, I get confused as to when Alex and Casey left and come back so sometimes I tend to just push them both in the story at times. If you can tell me exactly what seasons they leave and come back, thanks. 

0o0o0o

It was around 27 weeks when Liv decided it was time for the baby shower. Elliot obviously invited all the squad, Huang, Melinda, Alex, Casey, and even Kathy and the kids. Maureen and Kathleen wanted to come, but with their jobs and college, they couldn't get away. They did tell their father to send their love though. Liz was different. She wanted to come, but not if Kathy didn't. Kathy was a different story completely. 

She didn't want to be around Liv at all, even going so far as to try to prevent Elliot from going with Dickie. Elliot refused and threatened to leave the house. Kathy stood there in the kitchen with her mouth open in shock. "You'd leave your family over her?" She asked with venom. 

Elliot nodded. "Yeah, because this," he indicated to him and Kathy in turn angrily, "is not working out. I don't want Eli to grow up in the same type of home that I did; that his older siblings grew up in." 

Kathy looked pissed for a moment and turned away. Elliot gave her a minute before he started to leave to pack. He didn't want to leave like this, but it was time. Kathy was trying so hard to keep an obviously dying marriage alive. Half an hour later Elliot was packed with a weeks worth of clothes. He had a couple random clothing items at Liv's that would help out too. Kathy walked into the room and leaned against the dresser. 

Trying to keep her voice calm, she started, "I understand your loyalty to Liv, Elliot, but she's not your wife. That baby isn't yours. She's not your family. I am."

Elliot held his tongue. He wanted so desperately to tell Kathy that it was his son, his family, however, that can of worms needed to stay tightly sealed for now. "Kathy, I don't want to raise our last child in a house of anger." He leaned onto his sealed suitcase, waiting for her to think it over. 

She shook her head. "So you want a divorce?" 

He looked down at his suitcase and nodded. "Yeah," he whispered. "For Eli."

Scoffing, she smiled and walked away. "Unbelievable," she muttered. 

Dickie met Elliot in the hallway as he started to take his bag down to his car. "Dad," he whispered, looking paranoid where his mother disappeared. "I know Olivia doesn't have a lot of room, but when it comes to who to live with, I'd rather live with you."

Elliot wasn't expecting that. The fights he's had over the years with this boy had him afraid that he'd pushed his oldest son away for good. It was nice to know he hadn't yet. Elliot smiled at Dickie and gave him a one armed hug. "Take care of everyone until things get more permanent," Elliot told him. 

Nodding, Dickie let his father go. "Dad," he called a little louder. "Can you call me Richard?"

Richard was a grown mans name. Dickie was a boys. If he started calling his son Richard, that meant one of his sons were fully grown and ready to prepare to leave the nest. Elliot gave a small nod before leaving the house for Liv's apartment. 

Liv looked totally shocked when Elliot just opened the door with his bag and dropped it by the door. She pointed to the bag and stuttered at he walked over to her and kissed her. "What happened?"

"Don't worry, I didn't tell Kathy about us or the baby. I invited her and the family to the baby shower this Saturday and she exploded. She tried to prevent me from going and I ended up saying I didn't want to raise children in a broken, unhappy home. I wanted a divorce." Elliot lead her to the couch and let Liv cuddle into him as he put on a random movie. 

"Will she let you go easily?" Liv asked after a few moments. 

Elliot wasn't sure. She seemed calm enough when she asked if he wanted a divorce, but it could go either way. "Maybe, if she thinks of Eli."

They watched two more movies before the baby allowed Liv to relax enough to head to bed. Elliot helped her get comfortable and climbed into bed beside her after double checking the front door that he'd locked it back. He wrapped his arms around Liv's stomach and held his hand to the spot where he could clearly see the baby starting to kick again. As soon as his hand touched her stomach, the kicking stopped and Liv sighed with relief. He kissed the back of her head before falling into the first comfortable sleep he's had in several months. 

The baby shower ended up being a completely success. Liv got a crib and changing station from Melinda, second hand, but Liv loved it even more since Melinda used it herself. Alex and Casey got a musical swing for the baby. About a dozen packs of diapers and clothes were from Fin, Munch, and Cragen. Then there was Dickie. He didn't have much, a simple card with a long note inside. 

"Congrats to you and the little one. This card is good for one free night of babysitting when you feel like you're going to rip the rest of my dad's hair out at work and need a break from poopy diapers." Liv smiled at Dickie and thanked him. She discreetly put it in her jacket pocket and smiled at Elliot. He knew that look. There was more to the note. 

When everyone was playing 'guess the gender' with the cookies that they ordered, Liv lead Elliot to the corner where she showed him the card. It was a plain card that said Congrats in big black letters on the front. The inside was detailed. Several side notes that said 'say this' or 'read this with dad'. 

The part they read together was 'Dad, Liv, I'm proud to be the big brother to this little boy you've created. I'm sorry for all my idiot tendencies I've said and done as a kid. I want to be better for Eli and the baby. I've voluntarily joined an anger management class at church after school in hopes that it will help me become a better brother and son and eventual father and husband.'

Liv started crying silently. She started to worry that the guests would wonder what was wrong, but at that moment, the baby decided to kick very hard. She yelled out and clutched her stomach, leaning heavily on Elliot, who caught her. "Dickie, bring a chair," he ordered his son. "Richard!" He said louder and a little more angrier than he meant to sound like. 

If Dickie was offended, he didn't show it. He brought a kitchen chair over quickly as the guests gathered around her, asking if she was okay. "I'm fine, the baby just really wants to play soccer with my insides." She took some deep breaths and closed her eyes, rubbing her stomach.   

A few moments went by before Liv clapped her hands and smiled. "Okay, who has what cookie?"

They all showed their cookie that either was pink or blue on the outside. She smiled as Elliot ran to get a couple of blue cookies, one for her and one for him. "As the partner to the pregnant lady, I'm forced to get the same cookie or else I don't want to know Monday morning, but my official cookie color is the same as Richard's," Elliot announced, pointing to Dickie and his pink cookie.

"Okay everyone, bite into your cookie!" Liv called, biting into hers. The only three that knew exactly the gender was Elliot, Liv, and Dickie. Several people exclaimed in happiness as their cookie was right. Cragen smiled at them as he continued to bite into his blue cookie. "Now, I don't have names yet, but I'm needing a baby book. So, one more present post-baby shower can be the baby name book."