Part 34: Mia

Playlist: I'm Yours by The Script, Why Don't We Go There by One Direction, Maps by Maroon 5, Talk by Tori Kelly, I'm There by Hey Violet, She's Kinda Hot by 5 Seconds of Summer, Smoke by Pvris, Cool for the Summer by Demi Lovato.

His smile had always been my favorite thing about him... Something about it always made electricity run through me and warm me up, even on my saddest days. All those months I had spent alone, the one thing I missed the most had been that smile; but now as it was there right in front of me, I had no clue how to feel about it. 

I was the first to tear my gaze away from his, turning on my feet and going into the lobby of his hotel and straight to the elevator. He wasn't much farther behind and pressing the elevator button for me. 

"I promise we won't be here long, just a quick change and then I'm all yours for the day." He said softly as the elevator doors opened and he pulled me out of the way so the couple waiting inside could walk out but as soon as the girl caught a sight of me she let go of the guy's hand quicker than if it would have been a hot coal.

"Heather?" I said, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she looked right at me. Her eyes were wide and looked between me and Ashton, the same way I was doing between her and Michael. So many questions probably arising in her mind as she studied the situation. 

"Did you spend the night with Michael?" I asked and at the same time she asked me what I was doing with Ashton. I felt my cheeks flush, the reason she hadn't slept over at my dorm had been because of our argument earlier the night before. From the corner of my eye I saw as Michael and Ashton exchanged a look before Michael nodded.

"I'll be right back, you two can wait for us down here in the lobby." Ashton said, his hand brushing against mine for a micro second before the two of them got into the elevator and left us alone there looking at each other. 

"Guess we need to have a chat, huh?" Heather said softly but I was already interrupting her the second she finished her question.

"I'm sorry, I should have never yelled at you or asked you to leave... I'm just sorry." I said, stretching my hand out to grab hers and squeeze it. She was my best friend, and she'd always been there for me. Even when she didn't have the best approach, everything she did was because she wanted to help. 

"I'm sorry too, I should have been honest. You've just been so happy lately and things were finally good... When I bumped into them at the airport, the last thing I wanted was to ruin our weekend together." Heather said, she was talking too quickly. Probably trying to get all the words out before I could interrupt her again. That was our thing, after an argument we just felt incredibly guilty about making the other feel bad. Especially if the argument was over something ridiculous like boys...

We were already walking towards a lounging area in the lobby that was meant for guests waiting to be checked in; for us, it would be where we waited for the boys. Where we fixed us. 

"You didn't... I did that all on my own." I told her once we had sat down, my body facing hers. "So... You and Michael?" I simply questioned, no need for any fuzz or assumptions. She would tell me. 

"I don't know." She said, her cheeks flushed. "When I left your place, I had every intentions to go to my dad's but he doesn't even know I'm in New York... And he has this new family. Next thing I knew, I was taking a cab here and Michael was waiting for me downstairs." 

"So you two are still just friends?" I asked, she knew Michael. They'd been really close back in LA during the summer, he had even helped her get together with James. 

"Of course, you know me and him were good friends in LA." She began to say but as I raised my eyebrow she looked away with flushed cheeks and an unmistakable smile that she was struggling to hide. She knew exactly what I meant. "I'm not sure, he has always made me feel different but a few months ago I just thought it was excitement cause he's in a band and Australian but now... I think it is more than that." 

"Has he acted any different?" I asked, suddenly really excited and enjoying the distraction. As long as I didn't have to think about Ashton and me and that groupie wannabe...

"Not really, other than relieved when I told him I was single." Heather said, scrunching up her nose and looking back up at me. "And he said he wants me to be his plus one for a party they're throwing tonight. This is crazy."

"A party?" I asked, my brows furrowing in concern. Had this been Ashton's plan all along? 

"Something about celebrating the end of tour or something. You know they've never missed an opportunity to celebrate anything and everything. Apparently they were planning it last night when I showed up." She tried to explain but she could see the concern in my eyes because her face contorted with it as well. 

"What?" She asked. 

"Another party?" I asked softly, not able to hide my disappointment. 

"You found out about the party..." Ashton said from behind us, making both me and Heather jump. Michael was standing beside him, getting a goofy grin the moment he laid eyes on Heather. Had he liked her all this time? 

"I didn't know it was supposed to be a secret." Heather quickly said. 

"No it wasn't, I just wanted to be the one to tell her. We don't have to go, I'm still yours for the rest of the day." Ashton said, probably trying to reassure me about what he had said before. 

"You can go if you want." I said. Slowly getting up from the couch and fixing my clothes. "You still owe me breakfast." I added, trying to not make the air so tense between us. One day, a few hours. I could give him that. I owed it to the both of us to give it a try without any secrets. 

"Well, ladies choice. You are the New York expert now." Ashton told me as he wrapped his arm around my waist. I looked back to wave at Heather but she was already having a whispered conversation with Michael. I would have never seen that coming. 

(Author's Note: HEY GUYS! It's been ages I know! But just 3 weeks ago I began my master's degree online and that has kept me super busy! I promise I will try to work better with my schedule! This should have been done weeks ago but time just slipped away from me! So what do you think will happen with Mash during their day out in the city? Did you guys see Heather and Michael happening at all? Get excited cause SPOILER they might get their own fanfic as soon as ASM finishes! But enough spoilers! Let me know what you think in the comments. Remember to vote and share. Love you guys and thank you for being patient!! <3 )