Chapter Seventeen: The Worst Fallout Since Lorelai and Emily

I step out of the bathroom, running a towel through my damp hair. I want to look busy, but without my phone, I'm at a loss. It feels like I'm stuck in a loop, and all I want to do is escape this hotel room.

The sterile air smells of disinfectant, which is a whole mood—like we're all trapped in a waiting room of bad decisions. Ace is slumped on the couch, his brows furrowed in concentration. When I catch his eye, he sits up straight, and I know he's about to initiate another round of "let's talk."

"Adriana," he starts, his voice low and steady, like he's trying to calm a wild animal. "We need to talk."

I force a nonchalant shrug, the corners of my mouth twitching. "About what? How you were a shit partner and left me hanging in a fight?"

He winces, but I press on. "Because I don't think we need to waste any more time pretending everything is okay."

"I get it. You're mad," Ace says, the irritation creeping into his voice. "But—"

"I'm not just mad. I'm done. My sister is booking me a flight back home, and once I get back to Scale Zero, I'm resigning."

His eyes widen, disbelief radiating from him. "You can't be serious."

"Oh, but I am," I say, the words spilling out faster than I can reel them back in. "You're the one who said all those things, Ace. You've made this unbearable. I took the beating of a lifetime for you, and you think I'm just going to forget that? I don't owe you anything anymore."

Ace's jaw clenches, anger boiling over. "You're a quitter, Adriana. You're just running away."

"And what? You think I should stay here and pretend everything is fine when you clearly don't give a damn about our partnership?" I shoot back, each word sharper than the last.

He stands, fists balled at his sides. "I did what I had to do! I was trying to protect you!"

"By leaving me?" I scoff, folding my arms. "You were just trying to save your ass. You don't get to pretend that's noble. And I'm not going to forgive you, Ace. I'll never forget the shit you said. It was a betrayal."

I push past him, ignoring the way he tries to follow. The hallway feels long and endless, like I'm walking through a tunnel that won't lead me anywhere good. But I'm not turning back. I'm not going to be swayed by guilt or his stupid pleas.

"Adriana, wait!" he calls after me, but I quicken my pace. "We can't finish this mission without each other!"

I stop, turning to face him, my heart pounding. "I've decided not to go back to the USA. I'm going to finish this mission, and I'll get the recognition I deserve without you holding me back."

His face flushes, and I see the fury bubbling under the surface. "You think you can do this alone?" he challenges, his voice low and dangerous. "You'll just get yourself killed!"

"Better than dragging you down with me," I hiss, each syllable drenched in venom.

He takes a step closer, desperation etched across his features. "I'm trying to help you, Adriana. Can't you see that?"

"No, Ace, I see you trying to control everything while I pick up the pieces. You don't get to decide what I can handle." I turn away, my heart racing.

Suddenly, he's rummaging through his backpack, pulling out a snack bar and a bottle of water. "Look, how about this? Let's grab some food and talk it out. I can even get takeout! We can sort things out over dinner—"

I shake my head vehemently, the mere idea of food turning my stomach. "I'm not hungry, Ace."

"Come on, you need to eat," he presses, annoyance lacing his tone. "You haven't eaten in days! You can't solve everything with stubbornness!"