Chapter Thirty-Three: Rejection: A Group Activity

We're two episodes deep into Keeping Up with the Kardashians when the doorbell rings. I sit up, my heart skipping a beat. Maybe it's Ace. Maybe he came to apologize, or... I don't know, just to talk. Part of me knows that's wishful thinking, but I can't help hoping.

"I'll get it!" I call to Ava, who's still sprawled on the couch, her eyes glued to the screen.

I rush to the door, smoothing my hair down as I open it. But instead of Ace, it's... Cole. He stands there, smirking, holding a small gift bag in one hand.

"Surprise," he says, that cocky grin never leaving his face.

My stomach flips, and I try to push down my disappointment. "Cole, what are you doing here?"

"Came to wish the birthday girl a happy birthday," he says, stepping closer and handing me the bag. "Thought you might need this after a long night."

I peek inside and find a fifty dollar Starbucks gift card, and I can't help but smile. "You do know me too well," I admit.

He chuckles, shrugging. "Figured you could use some caffeine to get through whatever's been bugging you tonight."

I don't know if it's the emotional rollercoaster of the evening, or the fact that Cole is standing here looking genuinely sweet for once, but before I can stop myself, I step closer, wrapping my arms around him. He seems surprised at first, but then he smiles, leaning down, his lips finding mine.

The kiss starts slow, but it doesn't take long for it to deepen, for everything else to melt away—the awkwardness with Ace, the sadness, the tension. All that's left is Cole and me, his arms wrapping tightly around my waist, my hands finding their way into his hair as we kiss like we're trying to erase everything else.

"Uh, excuse me!" Ava's voice cuts through, loud and slightly annoyed.

I pull back, breathless, my face flushed. Cole just laughs, looking completely unfazed, as usual.

"Ava..." I mumble, trying to catch my breath, my cheeks burning.

Ava crosses her arms, arching an eyebrow at Cole. "This is a girls' night, dude. I think you've overstayed your welcome."

Cole grins, glancing between us. "Alright, alright. I get it. I'm going." He looks back at me, winking. "Happy birthday, Adriana. Don't spend that gift card all at once."

I roll my eyes, but I can't help the small smile tugging at my lips. "Thanks, Cole."

He gives me one last quick kiss before stepping back, giving Ava a mock salute. "I'll leave you two to your important Kardashian binging."

Ava watches him leave, shaking her head. The moment the door closes behind him, she turns to me, her lips pursed. "Seriously? On your birthday?"

I shrug, trying not to look too pleased. "It was just a kiss."

"Yeah, a kiss that almost turned into something else right in front of me." She raises her eyebrows, a smirk playing on her lips. "You're lucky I like you, or I'd have dumped water on you both."

I laugh, nudging her as we make our way back to the couch. "Come on, let's just get back to our girls' night. I promise no more interruptions."

"You better not," she says, her tone teasing as we settle back into our spots. She grabs the remote and turns the volume up, glancing at me with a grin. "Besides, Cole can't compete with the drama of Kim and Kourtney."

I chuckle, shaking my head. "You're right. No one can."

We dive back into the show, and as the drama unfolds on-screen, I do my best to let go of everything—Ace, Cole, all the confusing emotions. Tonight is about Ava and me, and nothing else. And that's exactly what I need.