Chapter Seven: I Could Use a Get Out of Jail Free Card Now

Sunlight streams through the expansive windows, illuminating the luxurious chaos that is Cole's bedroom. I stretch, savoring the warmth of the sheets and the faint scent of him still lingering in the air. The memory of last night sends a shiver down my spine, a mix of satisfaction and disbelief. We cross a line, and I'm not quite sure where it leaves us.

With a determined breath, I swing my legs over the side of the bed, glancing back at Cole, who is still in deep sleep. His tousled hair is a mess, the blanket just barely covering his lower half. I smile despite myself; he looks so peaceful, so unlike the cocky, arrogant man I have come to know. But I can't linger. I have things to do, places to be—plus, I want to put some distance between us before I get too comfortable.

Quietly, I slip out of the bed and tiptoe across the plush carpet. Just as I reach the door, a deep, grumbling voice breaks the morning silence.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?"

I freeze, turning to find Cole propped up on one elbow, his expression a mixture of confusion and sleepiness. "Get your ass back in bed, or I swear I'll fuck you even harder than I did last night," he threatens, a lazy smirk creeping across his face.

I roll my eyes, trying to suppress the grin that threatens to break free. "You couldn't keep up," I shoot back, feeling a surge of confidence as I take a step toward the door.

"Is that a challenge?" he asks, his eyes narrowing playfully. Before I can respond, he shoots out of bed, the sheets falling away from his toned body, and I bolt from the room, laughter bubbling up as I dash down the hallway.

"Adriana!" he calls, his voice a mixture of annoyance and amusement. The sound of his footsteps thunders behind me as I dart through his massive mansion, heart racing. I take a sharp turn, navigating the labyrinth of his home, knowing he is close on my heels.

I glance back over my shoulder just in time to see him rounding the corner, determination etched on his face. "You can't run from me forever!" he shouts, and my heart races faster, a thrill igniting inside me.

"Watch me!" I yell, taking off down another hallway, the adrenaline surging through my veins.

"Not if I catch you first!" Cole calls out, his voice getting closer.

Just as I round another corner, I feel his hands grip my waist from behind, lifting me off my feet and spinning me around. "Gotcha!" he declares, pulling me close, our faces inches apart.

I look up at him, panting, and can see the playful glint in his eyes. "You're a cheating bastard," I say, half-laughing, half-breathless.

"Cheating? Please," he scoffs, wrapping his arms tighter around my waist. "This is just called being resourceful. And besides, you can't resist me."

I raise an eyebrow, a challenge dancing in my eyes. "You think so?"

"Absolutely," he replies, his voice low and confident. "Now, are you going to run again, or are you going to admit that you're mine?"

I smirk, refusing to let him win so easily. "You really think you can keep me?"

"Damn right, I can," he replies, his voice dropping an octave. "Now come on, let's see what you're made of."

Before I can respond, he leans in and presses a quick, teasing kiss to my lips, then releases me, turning back toward the kitchen. "I'm making you breakfast," he announces, striding confidently down the hall.

"Breakfast? What are you, my mom?" I call after him, unable to hide the playful tone in my voice.

"No, but I'm pretty sure I make better banana pancakes than she does," he shoots back, glancing over his shoulder with a grin.