Chapter Thirty: Hot Mess Express

As we step out of Anastasia's office, the buzz of excitement from the impending party fills the air. But before we can savor the moment, we are met with the unmistakable presence of Cole, the co-boss of Scale Zero and the guy I've shared a few intimate encounters with.

"Adriana!" he calls out, striding toward us with an urgency that instantly puts me on edge. My stomach twists at the memory of our last conversation while I'm in Paris—I interrupt him mid-romp, and now, facing him feels painfully awkward.

"Not now, Cole," I reply, attempting to sidestep him, but he steps in my path, a frown deepening on his face.

"What do you mean, 'not now'? We need to talk," he insists, his tone shifting to something more serious.

"I really don't want to hear it," I shoot back, trying to keep my voice steady while the tension simmers just below the surface.

Ace glances between us, his brow furrowing in confusion. "What's going on?" he asks, genuinely perplexed.

"It's nothing," I reply tersely, my eyes narrowing at Cole, who is now watching us with a mixture of irritation and concern.

"Adriana—" Cole starts, but I cut him off.

"Just leave me alone!" I yell, my voice echoing down the hall. I turn on my heel, ready to walk away, but Ace remains beside me, refusing to budge.

"Adriana," Cole calls after us, his voice rising as he sprints to catch up. "You can't just ignore this!"

"Watch me!" I yell back, picking up my pace. I can feel Ace's presence next to me, a silent support I desperately need right now.

"Adriana!" Cole's frustration is palpable, but I don't look back.

"Let's just go," Ace says quietly, gently guiding me forward as we reach the end of the hall. I feel the weight of Cole's gaze, but I focus on Ace, thankful for his presence.

As we round the corner, we stumble upon a heartwarming scene. A couple is in the middle of an adorable party proposal, complete with balloons and confetti falling from the ceiling. The boy is down on one knee, holding a small box that sparkles in the light.

"Aw, look at that," I say, unable to suppress a smile. "That's cute."

Ace snorts, leaning against the wall, arms crossed. "Really? You think that's cute? I mean, come on. Who proposes at a work party?"

"It's sweet!" I defend, rolling my eyes at his sarcasm. "They're celebrating their love. What's wrong with that?"

"Are you secretly hoping for a date to the party?" he teases, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, duh," I reply, a hint of a grin creeping onto my face despite the earlier tension.

Without missing a beat, Ace drops to one knee, feigning seriousness. "Well then, I guess I'm obligated to offer my services as your date, princess. Only because it's your birthday today and you don't have anyone else to go with."

I roll my eyes again, unable to hold back a laugh. "You're ridiculous."

Ace frowns playfully, his expression shifting to mock offense. "Ridiculous? I'm being a true gentleman here."

"Right," I reply, smirking.

He leans in closer, a playful glint in his eyes. "You don't know what you're missing. I could be the best date you've ever had."

"Really? You think so?" I ask, pretending to contemplate it.

"Yes, I do," he replies, leaning a little closer, his eyes locked onto mine.