Chapter Thirty-Five: When Life Gives You A Useless Man, Toss Your Starbucks

I lie on the couch, cocooned in blankets, flipping through channels while the TV blares meaningless shows. It's a lazy day, and for the first time in a while, I let myself sink into the numbness that comes with avoiding the world. I had called in sick for work, claiming some vague illness that I couldn't even remember the name of. The truth? I was just emotionally drained.

As the evening creeps in, I can't shake the feeling of restlessness that settles in my stomach. I know what I need—a grocery run. Ice cream and snacks could soothe my heartache, at least for a moment. I grab my keys and head out, determined to fill my cart with enough comfort food to sink a ship.

At the grocery store, I drift through the aisles, loading my basket with cotton candy and cookies and cream ice cream, a couple of Peach Celsiuses, and pancake mix that I have absolutely no intention of using. I stand in line, eyeing the frozen treats with an excitement that's slightly manic. This is my therapy for the day.

As I walk out, my hands full of brightly colored bags, I catch a glimpse of something out of the corner of my eye. I freeze, my heart plummeting as I see Ace across the street at that Starbucks. My breath catches in my throat as he leans in close to another girl, their heads bent together as they laugh. She throws her head back, and I can practically see the stars in her eyes as Ace kisses her.

I feel like I'm going to throw up.

The ice cream feels heavy in my hands, and the cheerful colors mock me. Ace never mentioned he had a girlfriend. He had always flirted with me during our Paris mission, the moments lingering like a warm breeze. Did that mean he moved on that quickly? Did I mean so little to him that he could just forget about me and start kissing some other girl?

The urge to scream or throw the ice cream on the ground surges through me, but I hold it back. I can't let him see me like this. I can't let him see how much it hurts. With my heart pounding in my chest, I quickly shove my groceries into the trunk of my car, the sound of the lid slamming shut feeling like a finality I'm not ready to accept.

But then, an idea strikes me. I pull my gift card from my wallet and head toward Starbucks. Who needs men anyway when you have caffeine? My true love awaited in the form of a Trenta pineapple passion fruit refresher with peach juice and heavy cream.

As I step inside, the familiar scent of coffee and baked goods envelops me. I try to push the image of Ace and his new girlfriend out of my mind, but the sight of them lingers like a ghost, haunting every corner of my thoughts.

Just as I approach the counter, I catch Ace's eye. He narrows his gaze, his expression shifting to one of irritation as he excuses himself from the girl and walks toward me. I mentally brace myself, ready to deflect whatever angry words he might throw at me.

"Adriana," he starts, voice tight, but I cut him off.

"Save it, Ace. I just want my Starbucks," I say, injecting as much indifference into my tone as possible. "It's not like I need you anyway."

His eyes flash with a mix of surprise and frustration, and for a moment, the air between us crackles with unspoken tension. I can see the girl watching from a distance, confusion crossing her face. But right now, I don't care.

I order my drink, and as the barista prepares it, I stand tall, reminding myself that I am more than just the girl Ace flirts with. I am strong, capable, and resilient. I can't let this moment tear me down.

"Adriana, we need to talk," Ace says, and I can see him struggling to keep his voice low, to keep the anger in check.

"No, we don't," I reply, feeling a flicker of defiance rise within me. "You made your choice, and I'm fine with it. I don't need to know why you're suddenly in a happy relationship while I'm sitting here trying to piece myself back together."