Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Last Day Of The Mission-I Did It For The Drinks

As we step inside the Louvre, the grandeur of the building washes over us, and I can't help but take a moment to appreciate the high ceilings and intricate artwork that surrounds us. "I can't believe this is our last day," I sigh.

"Don't get too cozy," Ace replies, scanning the space with an intensity that reminds me just how much is on the line. "We need to hurry to the Egyptian exhibit. Remember the entrance we found last time?"

"Right." I nod, my heart racing as we weave through the crowds. The air is thick with history, but our focus is sharp. The Egyptian exhibit looms closer, and a sense of urgency pushes us forward.

When we reach the entrance to the tunnels, Ace stops. I watch him as he braces himself against the wall, preparing for what's to come. "This is it," he says, determination etched across his face.

"Ace, wait," I urge, stepping closer. "We can find another exit if that means you won't get hurt again. I don't want to see you push yourself like this."

He shakes his head, brushing off my concern. "I can handle it, Adriana. Just... stay back for a second." He grits his teeth as he pushes against the entrance, his body straining with the effort. I can see the pain etched on his face, but he keeps going, driven by some stubborn resolve.

With a final grunt, he forces the entrance open, and I can't help but feel a mix of admiration and frustration. "You're insane," I mutter under my breath as he stumbles through.

"We're in," he says, breathing heavily but with a triumphant grin. I quickly close the entrance behind us, locking out the world above.

Inside the tunnel, the dim light casts shadows across his face, highlighting the exhaustion in his eyes. "You look tired," I remark, taking a step closer. Without thinking, I adjust his collar, my fingers lingering there just a moment longer than necessary.

"What are you doing?" he asks, his voice a mixture of surprise and playful disbelief.

"Just making sure you don't look like a complete disaster," I reply, meeting his gaze.

"You know, I could get used to this," he says, leaning slightly into my touch. "You fixing my collar while I save the day."

I roll my eyes but can't help the smile creeping onto my face. "Don't get used to it. I'm not your personal stylist."

"Right," he teases, his eyes sparkling. "But you definitely want to touch me. I can feel it."

I scoff, keeping my fingers on his collar. "As if I'd ever admit that."

"Admit what?" he prods, leaning in closer, his breath warm against my skin. "That you think I'm charming?"

"Maybe I just think you're a pain in my side," I counter, but the closeness feels electric.

He raises an eyebrow, a grin spreading across his face. "You keep adjusting my collar. Seems more like you're trying to keep me close."

I lean in even closer, feeling bold. "Maybe I am. What's it to you?"

His eyes widen, and for a moment, we're caught in each other's gaze, the world outside forgotten. "You know, for an enemy, you're not half bad," he says, his voice dropping an octave.

I can't resist the urge to flirt back. "And for someone who gets into way too much trouble, you're surprisingly charming."

He chuckles, shaking his head. "You must be really desperate if you're flirting with me."

"Oh, please," I say, tilting my head. "What if I said I found your pain tolerance... attractive?"

Ace laughs, leaning even closer. "Attractive? That's a new one. I've heard worse compliments, but never that."