Chapter Eight: I Really Didn't Sign Up for Awkward

I sit at my desk, staring at the blank screen of my laptop like it's a puzzle with no solution. Ace leans back in his chair, his arms crossed and an annoyingly smug expression plastered across his face. He's practically radiating confidence, and it's infuriating. We have a mission to prep for, but the tension in the room feels like it's made of steel.

"Can we get this report started? I have a taco to demolish at lunch, and I can't do that if we don't finish this," I say, pushing my hair back in irritation.

Ace shrugs, feigning indifference. "You can do what you want. I'm just here to provide my expertise."

"Right, because you're the expert on everything," I retort, rolling my eyes. "Let's focus. We have a mission report to write for Anastasia, and it has to be perfect."

He nods, finally sitting up straight. "Okay, so what are we actually dealing with? Our target this time is a notorious art smuggler known for stealing priceless artifacts and selling them on the black market. But it's not just about the theft. There's an entire underground network involved—people who've gotten mixed up in some dangerous stuff. We need to dismantle it from the inside out. All while being at some rich people gala."

I shiver at the thought of being somewhere fancy, trying to fight some bad guys. It reminds me of the whole Lord Geoffrey mess with Ace.

"Right, and our mission is to infiltrate a high-profile art gallery event where he's expected to show up, then gather intel on his connections and find a way to bring him down without causing a scene," I add, my mind racing with possibilities.

"Exactly. But we can't just crash the party; we have to be stealthy. Get close to the people who matter, find out who's involved, and get evidence without blowing our cover. That's the tricky part," Ace says, his tone becoming serious.

I nod, feeling the weight of the mission settle on my shoulders. "Okay, let's outline who we need to watch for: the main suspect, his business associates, and any potential buyers. We'll need to gather intel on their behaviors, routines, and vulnerabilities."

"Agreed. We can split the tasks—one of us can focus on the main suspect while the other keeps an eye on the associates," Ace suggests, and for once, I appreciate his input.

As we dive deeper into the mission, I feel the excitement bubbling up. This is unlike anything we've tackled before. The stakes are high, and the challenge of blending in with the art elite is enticing. Our final objective is not just to catch the smuggler but also to save a group of young artists he's been exploiting, promising them fame in exchange for their work while never giving them the credit they deserve.

After a solid hour of brainstorming and typing, we finally have a coherent report. I hit save with a satisfying click. "Done. Now we just need Anastasia's approval."

Ace raises an eyebrow, a smirk tugging at his lips. "Not bad for a pair of enemies, huh?"

"Don't get used to it, Ace. We're still rivals," I reply, trying to keep my tone light, though a part of me is surprised by how well we worked together.

"Sure, whatever you say," he responds, but his voice is teasing, almost friendly.

Just then, Anastasia walks in, her presence commanding the room. "What do you have for me?" she asks, her eyes sharp as she scans our report.

"Pre-mission report for the art smuggler operation," I say, handing her the document.

She reads through it, her eyes narrowing with focus. After a few tense moments, she nods. "I like it. Good work, you two. I'll approve this. Now you can get your gadgets and costumes."