Chapter 13: Breach

With supplies secured, we moved cautiously through the chamber. Echo scanned for threats, its eyes flickering with urgency. "Proceeding with caution is imperative."

We entered a long corridor, the silence amplifying my racing heart. "Where to now?" I whispered.

"Follow the path to the right. It leads to a maintenance access point," Echo instructed.

As we hurried, faint growls echoed behind us. "They're getting closer," I murmured, quickening my pace.

"Stay alert. Prepare for possible engagement," Echo replied.

The lights flickered, and a creature blocked our path, its eyes glowing with hunger. "Prepare for combat!" Echo shouted.

I gripped my wrench, fear and adrenaline coursing through me. "I'm ready."

The creature lunged, and Echo sidestepped, pushing me back. "Attack its flank!"

I swung my wrench, connecting with its side. It snarled but didn't falter. "It's strong!" I yelled.

"Focus, Xenon!" Echo urged, circling around.

I took a deep breath and charged forward, swinging my wrench with determination. With a final strike, the creature fell, lifeless. "Is it over?" I panted.

"Temporary. We must move quickly," Echo replied.

We dashed down the corridor, the air growing colder. "Echo, do you feel that?" I asked, sensing a shift.

"Energy levels fluctuating. Prepare for an anomaly," Echo confirmed.

As we reached the access point, the ground trembled, and a deep rumble filled the air. "What's happening?" I shouted.

"Critical system failure detected! We must enter now!" Echo urged.

I opened the door and rushed inside, Echo close behind. We slammed it shut as a crash reverberated behind us.

Inside, blinking lights illuminated a control panel. "We need to stabilize the systems," Echo said.

"Tell me what to do!" I replied.

"Input the override codes I provide," Echo instructed.

I worked quickly, following Echo's commands. With a final keystroke, the alarms quieted. "Systems stabilized. Temporary security established," Echo confirmed.

"What's next?" I asked.

"Now we uncover the truth behind the anomalies and find a way to escape," Echo replied.

Determination filled me. We would uncover the station's secrets, no matter the cost.