Chapter 38: Descent into Darkness

The mist began to thin as the core’s power dwindled, revealing the canyon’s twisted landscape. Echo’s frame lay motionless beside me, the shadows receding, but a lingering chill filled the air.

I took a deep breath, steadying my hands as I checked Echo’s systems. “Come on, stay with me. We’re not done yet.”

Echo’s sensors flickered weakly, its voice barely audible. “Systems... at minimal functionality. I can still guide you, but mobility is compromised.”

“Then we’ll find another way,” I said, determined not to leave it behind. I rigged a harness from what little gear we had left, securing Echo to my back. “You’re coming with me.”

As I pushed forward through the canyon, the echoes of distant whispers haunted my steps—voices that seemed to blend with the wind. I gritted my teeth, refusing to give in to the fear clawing at my mind.

“What’s our next move, Echo?” I asked, my voice shaky as I trudged on.

Echo’s response was faint, but clear. “The central access point is nearby. It connects to the remaining systems. If we reach it, we can sever the core’s control completely.”

“Then let’s end this,” I whispered, clenching my fists.

We pressed on, navigating through crumbling pathways and jagged rocks. The terrain grew more unstable, each step threatening to plunge us into the depths below. But I couldn’t let doubt take hold. Not with so much at stake.

After what felt like an eternity, we reached a massive, sealed door, its surface covered in ancient markings and cables pulsing with residual energy. I set Echo down gently, my breath heavy.

“Accessing controls,” Echo said, its voice faltering. “Manual override required.”

I knelt beside the panel, fingers moving over the cracked keys. “Let’s finish this together.”

With each input, the door shuddered, its mechanisms grinding against years of neglect. As the final command was entered, the door creaked open, revealing a dark passage leading deeper into the core’s network.

“We go down,” I muttered, feeling the chill seep into my bones. I glanced back at Echo, its dim sensors meeting my gaze. “Stay with me, okay?”

“I will remain operational for as long as possible,” Echo replied, a note of resolve in its voice.

I tightened my grip on my weapon and stepped into the darkness, the door sealing shut behind us with a final, echoing thud. Whatever awaited us within, there was no turning back now.