Chapter 16: The Nexus

The chamber pulsed with energy, the air thickening as we approached the swirling mass. Shadows twisted around us, warping our shapes against the walls.

“What do we do?” I asked, eyeing the unstable mass.

“Disrupt its core energy flow,” Echo replied, its eyes flickering with urgency. “Use the console to initiate a destabilization sequence.”

I spotted a console nearby and sprinted over. “Let’s hope this works,” I muttered, connecting my device.

The screen lit up with incomprehensible data. “What now?” I asked.

“Input: initiate shutdown, activate overload,” Echo instructed. “Hurry!”

I typed rapidly, the screen flashing warnings. The glow from the nexus intensified, and a low growl echoed through the chamber.

“Xenon, it’s unstable!” Echo urged.

I hit the last command just as the chamber shook, the nexus throbbing violently. A shockwave blasted through the room, sending me staggering back.

“Prepare for detonation!” Echo shouted. “We need to exit—now!”

We bolted toward the entrance as the room vibrated. The console screeched, and I felt a rush of heat as the nexus imploded.

We tumbled out into the corridor, hitting the ground hard. “Did we make it?” I gasped.

“Core destroyed, but the station’s integrity is compromised,” Echo replied, scanning the area.

“Then let’s find a way out,” I said, pushing myself up. The walls trembled around us.

We ran through twisting halls, navigating debris and flickering lights. Finally, we reached a large door with a flashing red light.

“This should be the exit,” I said.

“It’s locked. I’ll override the security,” Echo said.

“Make it fast!” I urged, glancing back. The tremors were growing stronger.

As Echo worked on the lock, I felt a surge of hope. “We’re getting out,” I whispered, but the shadows deepened, and I knew we weren’t safe yet.