Chapter 14: Unraveling

The control room hummed with energy, casting an eerie glow. I turned to Echo, heart racing. “What’s next?”

“Accessing the mainframe for data on the anomalies,” it replied. “They originate from Sector D, where containment has failed.”

“Failed? What does that mean?” I asked, dread settling in.

“It suggests a breach. The creatures are amplifying their presence using the station’s systems,” Echo explained.

“We need to get to Sector D,” I said. “Let’s gather supplies first.”

Echo scanned the room, retrieving an energy weapon and stun grenades. “These should help.”

Feeling the weight of the weapon, I nodded. “Let’s move.”

We stepped into the dim corridor, unease creeping in. “Echo, anything?”

“Erratic energy fluctuations ahead,” it replied.

“Let’s keep going,” I urged, pushing through the tension.

At the entrance to Sector D, the battered door loomed ominously. “Prepare yourself,” Echo warned.

I pressed the control panel, and the door creaked open to reveal darkness beyond. A growl echoed through the chamber, making my skin prickle.

“Stay close. Engage if necessary,” Echo commanded.

A creature emerged from the shadows, its eyes glowing. “Here we go,” I breathed, ready for the fight ahead.