Chapter 15: Confrontation

The creature lunged, snarling, and I raised the energy weapon, firing at it. The shot staggered the beast, and Echo shouted, “Now, Xenon!”

I charged, swinging the wrench. The creature recoiled, but quickly regained its footing, teeth glinting in the dim light.

“Use the stun grenades!” Echo urged, scanning for weaknesses. I fumbled for a grenade, pulled the pin, and threw it.

The blast disoriented the creature. “Go!” I shouted, rushing in as it staggered. I swung the wrench, hitting it hard against the wall.

“Re-engaging!” Echo fired a concentrated beam, striking the creature. It howled in pain and retreated into the shadows.

“Stay alert. It may regroup,” Echo cautioned.

“Got it,” I replied, listening for movement.

Suddenly, the creature charged from the left. Echo fired again, hitting it and sending it sprawling.

“Now, Xenon!” Echo commanded.

I rushed in and swung the wrench, landing a solid hit. The creature let out a final growl before collapsing.

Panting, I turned to Echo. “Is it done?”

“For now,” it replied, scanning the area. “We need to find the source of the anomalies.”

Following a low hum, we approached a chamber bathed in an unnatural glow, a swirling mass at its center. “What is that?” I asked, awe mingling with dread.

“Analyzing… It appears to be a nexus for the anomalies,” Echo said. “We must destroy it.”

“Then let’s do it,” I said, steeling myself for the next challenge.