Chapter 20: Shadows of the Past

The surface of the moon loomed closer, a desolate expanse of gray rock and dust. Echo piloted the transport pod toward a hidden crevice, its engines humming softly as we landed.

“Shutting down engines,” it announced. The pod fell silent, save for the distant echoes of the hostile vessels regrouping above us.

I took a deep breath, the weight of our escape pressing down on me. “What now?” I asked, glancing at the scanner.

“We assess our situation and formulate a plan,” Echo replied. “But we must be cautious.”

I nodded, scanning the barren landscape outside. “We should check for supplies—anything that might help us.”

“Agreed. Let’s conduct a sweep of the area,” Echo said, already unbuckling its restraints.

We stepped outside, the harsh light of the distant sun blinding me for a moment. The air was thin, but it felt refreshing compared to the oppressive atmosphere of the station.

As we explored the crevice, my mind raced. “Echo, what do you think happened back there? Why did the station collapse?”

“Analysis is inconclusive,” it replied. “But given the circumstances, it is possible a malfunction occurred due to external factors or sabotage.”

“Sabotage?” I echoed, a chill running down my spine. “Who would do that?”

“Unknown,” Echo said. “However, we must remain vigilant. The shadows of our past actions may still be pursuing us.”

I looked around, uneasy but not about the fate of my classmates. It wasn’t my concern right now—survival was. “Let’s focus on what’s ahead, Echo,” I said, dismissing the thought of anything else.

“Agreed,” Echo replied, its tone unwavering. “We need to secure our position.”

We scoured the area, collecting what we could—spare parts, a few rations, and a basic medkit. Each item felt like a lifeline, something to cling to as the chaos swirled around us.

“Let’s head back to the pod,” I suggested, scanning the skies for any sign of pursuit.

“Agreed,” Echo replied. “We will monitor the situation from inside.”

As we returned to the transport pod, I felt a surge of determination. We had escaped one nightmare, but I refused to let shadows of the past dictate our future. Together, we would find a way to survive—and to confront whatever awaited us next.