Chapter 18: Into the Light

As we sprinted toward the exit, the corridor twisted and turned, the oppressive darkness closing in behind us. The blaring alarms and flickering lights created a surreal backdrop, making every shadow seem more sinister.

“Almost there!” I urged, my breath coming in ragged gasps. The exit door loomed ahead, a beacon of hope amidst the chaos.

“Keep pushing!” Echo responded, its eyes scanning for any signs of danger. “We are gaining on it.”

The ground shook beneath us, the station trembling as if it were on the verge of collapse. My heart raced, knowing we were running out of time. Just as we reached the door, a deafening crash echoed behind us.

“Xenon!” Echo shouted, grabbing my arm. “We need to move!”

The shadows surged, monstrous forms emerging from the chaos, their glowing eyes fixated on us. I felt my heart pounding in my chest as I forced myself to focus.

“Now!” I yelled, and together we slammed into the door. It groaned and opened just enough for us to slip through.

We tumbled into a wide-open space, the blinding light of the outside world flooding our senses. I shielded my eyes, taking a moment to catch my breath.

“We made it!” I gasped, relief washing over me. But the victory was short-lived; the sound of the station collapsing echoed behind us.

“Xenon, we can’t stop now!” Echo urged, scanning the area. “We need to find cover.”

I nodded, adrenaline surging as we sprinted away from the crumbling station. The terrain was uneven, strewn with debris, but I pushed forward, my resolve stronger than ever.

“Where do we go?” I shouted over the noise.

“Head toward the beacon! It should lead us to safety,” Echo replied, its voice steady despite the chaos.

As we raced toward the distant light, I glanced back at the station, now a twisted mass of metal and shadows. A pang of guilt tried to creep in, but I brushed it aside. We had escaped; that was all that mattered.

“Echo, we need to focus on our escape!” I urged, pushing the thought of Orion and Eden out of my mind.

“Exactly. We can’t risk our lives for what we cannot control,” Echo insisted, maintaining its calm demeanor. “We need to survive.”

With each step toward the beacon, I felt the weight of our situation pressing down. The darkness had not claimed us yet, but I knew it was still out there, waiting for a chance to catch up.

As we reached the beacon, a small transport pod sat waiting, its engines humming softly. We climbed inside, Echo immediately beginning to interface with the controls.

“Hold on, Xenon,” it said, determination evident in its voice. “We’re getting out of here.”

With a final glance back at the station, I closed my eyes, steeling myself for whatever lay ahead. The light of the beacon guided us forward, and I felt a surge of hope as we left the darkness behind.