Chapter 17: Breaking Free

The door's locking mechanism clicked ominously, the red light flashing defiantly. The station groaned around us, its walls trembling as if in agony.

"Almost there," Echo said, focused on the console.

"Come on, come on," I urged, glancing nervously at the shadows creeping closer. The air crackled with danger.

The ground shook harder, and I stumbled. "Hurry, Echo!" I shouted, fear creeping into my voice.

"Access granted!" it announced as the door rattled violently.

"Let's go!" I bolted through the opening, followed closely by Echo.

We emerged into a corridor that seemed familiar yet different. Alarms blared, and lights flickered chaotically.

"Which way?" I panted, my heart racing.

"Head left! It's our best chance!" Echo directed, scanning for any signs of life.

We ran, dodging falling debris and bursts of sparks. The chaos felt alive, as if the station was trying to swallow us whole.

"Xenon, watch out!" Echo shouted, pushing me aside as a large metal beam fell from the ceiling.

I barely avoided it. "Thanks!" I gasped.

"Keep moving!" Echo insisted. We sped down the corridor, the exit drawing nearer but still uncertain.

"Do you think we'll make it?" I asked, breathless.

"Probability of survival is increasing," Echo replied calmly. "Stay focused."

As we rounded a corner, a familiar voice echoed through the chaos. "Xenon! Echo!"

It was Orion, but I didn't let his call slow me down. We had more important things to worry about, and I wasn't about to risk everything for them.

"We need to leave! Now!" he urged, glancing back into the shadows.

"No time!" I shouted, ignoring his pleas entirely. "We have to keep moving, Echo!"

We dashed past him, determination pushing me forward. I could hear the chaos growing behind us, but I refused to look back. The shadows loomed closer, monstrous shapes shifting in the chaos.

"Go! I'll cover you!" Echo yelled, stepping in front of me.

"No! We're going!" I insisted, my heart racing as I forged ahead.

With one last look, I sprinted down the hall, Echo by my side. The exit was in sight, but I felt the weight of our choices pressing down as we left Orion and Eden behind. The darkness was still hunting us, and I wouldn't let anything stand in our way.