Chapter 25: The Signal's Origin

Tension hung in the air as Echo and I navigated the dimly lit corridors, the echoes of our recent battle still fresh in my mind.

"Where's the signal coming from?" I asked, scanning the area.

"It's originating from the central command room," Echo replied. "We need to proceed with caution."

"Right. Let's stick together." I tightened my grip on my weapon.

As we approached a large door marked with faded symbols, the hum of machinery behind it pulsed like a heartbeat. "This must be it," I whispered.

Echo examined the control panel. "I can bypass the lock. Be ready."

With a soft beep, the door slid open, revealing the command room bathed in eerie blue light. Monitors displayed chaotic data feeds, creating a surreal atmosphere.

"Locate the source of the signal," Echo instructed.

"There! That terminal is blinking," I said, pointing.

"Accessing now." Echo interfaced with the terminal, and I glanced around, feeling both awed and uneasy.

"Xenon, I've identified the source," Echo announced. "It's a distress signal from a nearby crashed ship."

"A ship?" I echoed, intrigued.

"Yes. It was trying to send a warning before its systems failed," Echo explained. "We should investigate."

Suddenly, a distorted voice filled the room. "Help... us..."

"What was that?" I asked, alarmed.

"An audio transmission. The signal is weakening. We need to move quickly," Echo urged.

"Where is it coming from?" I asked.

"Coordinates indicate it's about two clicks away," Echo replied. "We should leave immediately."

"Let's go!" I urged, feeling urgency.

As we prepared to exit, the ground trembled beneath us. "What was that?" I shouted.

"Structural integrity compromised! Move!" Echo replied.

We sprinted out of the command room, the tremors intensifying. The distress signal haunted me, but we were determined to uncover the truth together.