19.

I paced the floor of my room. My head was throbbing, and I was starting to feel the hopelessness rising. I don't know how long it's been, but I'm starting to lose it. I was kind of beating myself up for having to rely on people.

I wish there was a way for me to escape. All I would have to do is turn the machine off that's controlling the necklace. The door opens to the room. I try to form my power in my hands, only I found myself on the floor recovering from the pain. "Still figuring it out?"

A guy says and leans over me. "I'll give you a hint: It only happens when you use your powers." He says in an annoying wisper. I give an ugly look. What I would do to this kid if this necklace wasn't on me... He offers his hand. I furrowed my brows in confusion.

I don't take his hand. "I prefer it on the floor." I stated. He drops his hand. "Suit yourself." He sits in front of me and leans on the wall. "This must be humbling." He stated. I cackle. "I didn't think you guys knew that word."
"That's fair." He stated.

I lay on my stomach. "What do you want?" I ask, annoyed. "Company." He says. I look at him confused. "Is this... what is this?" My confusion stopped me from being able to say something sarcastic. "There are no cameras in this room. This is the one and only room without cameras."

"Ok..." I said, confused. "I don't know. It's just nice not to have eyes on me constantly."
"Wait, shouldn't this room have cameras in here."
"They think it they put a camera in here you could manipulate it and gain more power or something. They seem a bit paranoid if you ask me."

"Are you like the boss's kid or something?"
"Lucky first guess."
"You're the only one with the balls to come in here and start a conversation with me. It wasn't that hard to guess." He shrugs his shoulders.

I roll my eyes and sit up. I lean on the wall across from him. "My name's Marcus." He stated. "Y/n, you probably already knew it." He nodded. The silence was loud between us.

"So what's your dad's plan for me?"
"All he wants is power as far as I know."
"I guess that's why he wanted me to give some of my power to him."
"Did you?"
"I can't." Marcus nods.

"My dad's kind of a maniac. If you haven't noticed."
"Does it run in the family?" He shrugs his shoulders. "Trying to figure that out on your own? I respect that."
"I just want my dad to be content. When he's content, I don't have to worry about him."

"Well, he sure did it this time."
"Yeah, tell me about it. He's either going to jail for the rest of his life or worse..."
"Sorry, kid. He chose his path." I wish I could say more. "I know the Avengers will eventually come for you." I look back at him.

"That's the plan." I reply. "I know my dad will do anything to kill them first." He adds. I was starting to understand what he was getting at. "Their main priority is you, though, right?"
"Their call the Avengers for a reason." He nods his head. I didn't give the answer he wanted.

"You seem like a good kid, Marcus. Troubled, but good." He looks at me. "And I have a lot of respect for you for still caring about your dad after everything he's done." He looks down again. I sigh. "If it comes down to it, I'll try my best to keep your dad alive."

That was what he wanted to hear. "But I can't promise no jail time."
"I think that's probably the safest place for him." He stated with a smile. I scoff a laugh. A had a light conversation for a while.

"My dad actually told me to stay away from you." Marcus stated. I snickered. "I wonder why? I'm no longer a threat." I stated, referring to the necklace. I didn't touch it in case it triggered it. "How am I supposed to know what the maniac is thinking?"

We both broke out in laughter. We laid on our backs as we calmed down. "This was fun." He stated. "You don't have many friends, do you?" I ask. "No, not really." He answers truthfully. "I guess this is kind of weird. Befriending my dad's kidnapped."

"Tell me about it." I replied. "I'm really sorry my dad is doing this to you. It's so messed up."
"I'll get out soon enough, Marcus. I'm just sorry you're related to the guy." That's what bothered me the most.

"Can I ask you a question?" I lay there with a smile spread across my face. "Hasn't stopped you before."
"What does it feel like being an Avenger? Having all that weight of having to protect everyone." I think of a good response.

"I think we experience and feel differently about our position in life. I feel happy and grateful to be an Avenger. I get to save lives and actually do something wonder with my life. I enjoy my job. It has its difficulties, sure, but it's how I've chosen to live it."

Marcus was quiet. I assume he was thinking about my words. He lifts his arm up. "Oh shit!" He curses, and he jumps to his feet. "Are you ok?" I was slowly sitting up too. "My dad is gonna kill me! I gotta go, Y/n." He opens the door, and I just stands there.

"I promise, I'll help you escape, but it won't be tonight." I didn't know how accurate that promise was. "Thanks for talking to me." He closes the door behind him. I sigh. I laid on the floor again. A few minutes later the door opens. I look up to see a girl.

She shakily places at tray on the ground right next to the floor. I sighs. "Thanks." She quietly closes the door.