five

naive - the kooks

At school the next morning, Blake found me in the hallway before class.

"Hey, Ren." He smiled, leaning against the lockers beside mine. "Missed you yesterday. How was your evening? Were you able to get that assignment done?" I found it sweet of him to ask.

"Yeah, I actually did," I answered, skipping over the 'how was my evening' part. "Nice cover by the way, you guys did great." A smirk covered his face.

"Oh you watched it, did you?" Blake teased. "I see someone's a New Hope Club fan." He earned an eye roll from me.

"I'm not a fan. I'm just being a supportive friend."

"Right, I see. You're one of those fans that acts all casual so they seem cool and mysterious enough to have a chance with the guys." I crossed my arms as he continued. "So are you more of a Reece girl or Blake girl? Or George maybe?" He raised his eyebrows playfully and I gently punched his shoulder.

"Well Breece is real, so I suppose that leaves me with George" I played along.

"Haha. Very funny." Blake quipped sarcastically. "Anyways, you still down to come to Reece and Shayla's place today? We can walk over together again."

"Yeah, sounds good." I smiled and he returned it.

"Great, see you then." He placed his hand on my shoulder, giving it a little squeeze before heading off to class. The feeling of his touch tingled my skin for a few moments after he left.

***

My English class did not meet today and was replaced by a free period. I figured it would be nice to avoid any more weird encounters with Reece.

My school had several small music rooms that students could use whenever they were available, so I decided to spend my free hour there.

As I walked past one of the occupied rooms, I heard a familiar voice singing. Carefully avoiding the window of the door, I tilted my head to the wall to hear better. Reece. I listened to the gentle strumming of the guitar. The sound was a bit muffled, but clear enough to make out what he was singing.

So how could this be done by such a smiling sweetheart?

Oh, you're so naive, yet so

It's such an ugly thing for someone so beautiful

I'll die every time you're on his side

He lingered on the last line for a moment before continuing.

I know, she knows that I'm not fond of asking

True or false, it may be

Well, she's still out to get me.

Coming to my senses that I was invading Reece's privacy, I slowly stepped away from the room and headed back down the hallway. I opted for a walk in the school grounds instead. Reece's voice was once again stuck in my head.

He sang with so much emotion that it was hard not to ponder the lyrics. Could he be singing about Aydan? That would make sense, but what about "I'll die every time you're on his side?" She was his girlfriend, so whose side would she be on?