four

with or without you - u2

I had walked to a cafe downtown. I figured I'd get a coffee and work on my assignment there since I certainly wasn't able to focus at home.

I sipped my coffee, gazing blankly out the large bay window. I wasn't able to focus here either. I felt far too scatterbrained and discouraged to get anything accomplished. I propped my head up on my hand and watched people walking outside.

Across the street, I saw a boy running quickly towards a restaurant. I sat up straight when I realised the boy was Reece. I watched intently as he ran up to a blonde girl who was stood outside the restaurant, arms crossed over her chest. Aydan.

Reece began talking to her; he looked upset, but I didn't have the clearest view. What I did see was Aydan slapping him across the face. Wide-eyed, I clasped my hand over my mouth.

I watched Reece press his hand to his cheek where she'd hit him, but apart from that, he hardly looked shocked. Aydan started walking off, and my brows furrowed as I saw Reece follow, seemingly pleading with her. She suddenly turned on her heels to face him, shouting something to make him stop in his tracks.

She then stormed off, and Reece was staring at the ground. He kicked something--a rock maybe? Then he picked his head up and started looking around. His gaze moved in my direction and I quickly ducked down, banging my head slightly on the table. I groaned and rubbed my head. I really hoped he hadn't seen me.

I sat back up and stole another glance across the street. I didn't see Reece anymore. That was until the door to the cafe swung open. He walked up to the counter, not looking my way, so I guessed he hadn't noticed me in the window. I picked up my coffee, taking a slow sip and trying to appear nonchalant.

Reece turned and his eyes met mine, a look of surprise and... concern?... flashed across his face. He looked beyond me, through the window, evidently realising that from where I was sitting, I would've seen everything.

He sighed, taking the seat next to me. I couldn't control the look on my face, and my expression let him know that I knew exactly what happened.

"I'm guessing you saw all that..." He stared at the coffee in his hands.

"Reece, what the hell happened?" I questioned.

"I was late to our date." He shrugged.

"What, three days late? How late could you have possibly been to make her hit you like that?" I was beside myself. I knew Aydan was a bitch, but I never expected her to treat Reece that horribly.

"Eight minutes..." he admitted. "I missed the bus after band rehearsal." I stared at him, trying to detect even the slightest bit of sarcasm but there was none.

"You're joking right? Eight minutes?! That's it? Eight minutes late and she slaps you?"

"Yeah, but it was cold outside, and she said her heels were hurting her feet while she waited." I actually couldn't believe he was being serious right now. This was so unlike him. I had always known Reece to be sarcastic and self-assured. To see him just take Aydan's shit and not fight back, it made me sad. And the worst part was that he seemed used to it.

"Has this happened before?" I already knew the answer, but his silence confirmed it. I took a moment to study his face; his left cheek was tinted red from being hit. The sight of it made me wish it were me slapping Aydan.

"Just a couple times," he mumbled and I could tell that was an understatement.

"Reece... why are you with her?" I asked genuinely. It's not like he was the nicest guy ever, but he deserved much better than that.