eighteen

and i love her - the beatles

I held my breath as we waited outside the door. My foot tapped nervously as the moments passed. I felt my heart sinking with every second of silence, but then there was a sound of movement inside. Reece and I exchanged a look.

Footsteps approached the door and then froze. I heard a voice briefly mutter something before the door swung open. Uncle Michael's eyes landed on me, and his face twisted in confusion.

"Lauren?"

"Hi, Uncle Michael," I greeted hesitantly. He stared at me for a moment before he winced.

"Bollocks. Who died?" He sighed.

"Uh... no one, I hope," I glanced at Reece who was stood awkwardly. He gave a quick nod of his head towards Michael, telling me to continue. "I'm actually looking for Dad, I thought he might be here...?" 

"Oh, I haven't seen Benny in ages. He not home?"

I almost smiled at the nickname. I don't think my dad has gone by Benny since he was a teenager. I only ever heard mum call him that, though she hasn't lately.

"No, he's not. He went out sometime last night and hasn't come back." I frowned. I felt sprinkles of raindrops begin to fall on Reece and I as we stood on the doorstep.

"Well what'd ya come to me for? What's your mumma think?"

"Well, uh.. I actually don't know where she is either.."

Uncle Michael studied me for a moment, his eyebrows furrowed. He glanced between Reece and I, then up at the drizzly sky, before pursing his lips.

"Cup of tea?" He asked with a sigh, stepping aside and opening the door wider for us.

I briefly looked over to Reece, who gave me a half-smile.

"Thank you," I nodded to Michael, and we followed him inside.

"I'm Reece, by the way. Nice to meet you," Reece stuck out his hand to Michael.

"Mike," he nodded as they shook hands.

I gazed around the dimly lit sitting room. It was exactly as I'd remembered it from a few years ago. There were a couple couches with quilts thrown over them, a guitar leaned up against one, and a box TV on the coffee table along with a couple empty cans of beer. An old rock album echoed from the record player in the corner, rested on top of stacks and stacks of vinyls. The room smelled of must and cigarettes, but there was something charming about it.

Uncle Michael stepped into the kitchen, which was only separated by a half wall, and pulled three mugs from the cabinet.

Reece was looking around beside me. I glanced at him, and he gave me a smile of reassurance.

"You tried callin' em?" Michael asked me.

"You think I would come here before I tried calling?"

"That right there is your mother's sass," he chuckled. "You better watch out for that," he warned Reece.

I felt my cheeks heat up, realizing Uncle Michael probably assumed we were dating. I waited for Reece to start denying, but he just laughed.

"Oh, I'm well aware," Reece smirked at me. I rolled my eyes playfully to masquerade the way my heart flipped.

"Holy shit," Reece muttered, focusing on something behind me. I turned my head, smiling as I noticed Michael's old guitar hanging on the wall. It was a vintage electric from the 60s, in a teal colour.

"That is the coolest guitar I have ever seen," Reece said, standing in front of it in awe. Michael glanced at him from the kitchen and smiled.

"Ah yeah. She's probably worth more than this flat, but she's also the only thing I've got that I care about," Michael chuckled. "You play?"