seventeen

overlap - catfish and the bottlemen

Ren's P.O.V.

As I expected, my house was still empty. But since we stopped by, Reece and I were able to grab some necessities. We changed out of our school clothes and found some beanies and scarves in the closet. It was already getting cold, and we didn't know how late we'd be out. It could be under ten degrees by the time the sun sets, so we wanted to be somewhat prepared.

We walked to the train station, not saying much. It wasn't awkward, but definitely a little tense. I don't think either of us really knew what to say. It had been a hell of a day already, and realistically, it was just getting started.

Reece was probably still upset, I was anxious, and neither of us knew what to expect. We sat on the bench by the platform as there was still ten minutes before the next train to Manchester. I fiddled with my rings, staring at my lap.

"I'm gonna run into the Sainsbury's and grab some waters. Do you want anything?" He asked me.

"No, I'm okay." I smiled, thanking him. He walked off, and my stomach rumbled. I was hungry, but I didn't want to ask Reece to buy me something. He was already doing enough by coming to Manchester with me.

Reece returned a couple minutes later and plopped a sandwich in my lap. I looked up at him with a grin.

"I'm guessing you skipped lunch too?" He smiled at me.

"How did you know that?" I asked in disbelief.

"Saw you running past the music rooms," he shrugged.

"Oh," I said, looking down.

I frowned thinking about him singing "Fallout," earlier. I wish I'd never made him that upset, but it made me even more thankful he was here with me now. It was almost laughable that I'd somehow ended up in another serious situation with Reece.

The train approached, and we both stood.

"Ready for this?" He asked me.

"As I'll ever be," I sighed.

My heart skipped a beat when I felt him grab my hand, giving it a little squeeze. My eyes flicked up to his, and he smiled.

"It will be okay," he assured. I nodded slowly, and the two of us stepped onto the train.

After we settled into our seats, I turned to face Reece, my mind lingering on what he'd said a moment ago.

"I liked the song you were playing, by the way, in the music room," I admitted.

"Oh, did you? Liked it enough to run away," he laughed. I rolled my eyes with a smile.

"I felt bad," I answered honestly. I pursed my lips to the side.

"It made me think of you... the song," Reece spoke cautiously.

"Yeah, I thought so," I half laughed, "the lyrics felt a bit targeted." He softly elbowed me in the side. He seemed a bit flustered, and it was kind of cute.

"Do you think we'll always just fall out?" I asked him more seriously. He looked at me, studying my face. He was silent for a moment, and I felt my heart rate quicken.

"Probably," he nodded. His face turned to a smirk. "You are pretty annoying after all."

It was my turn to elbow him. We both laughed as my arm collided with his chest.

"But if we're always falling out, that means we'll always be falling back together too."

"You're such a geek," I laughed, but I couldn't fight back the smile. He brushed me off, telling me to shush. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone and a pair of earbuds.