Shipped to Alabama 10

"Good morning," I said happily when I walked into Betsy's Diner at six in the morning.

Both Betsy and Henry looked at me weirdly.

"Good morning," they both replied.

"You've never been this happy at six in the morning," Henry said.

"I had a great day yesterday."

"What happened?" Betsy asked.

"So much....Ty is my boyfriend," I said.

"Yay," she replied.

"Finally," Henry said.

The bell rang indicating someone walked inside. I quickly went behind the counter to put my things away. I figured it was one of our regulars, Charles, who always comes at six. However, when I turned around there was a young man. I had never seen him before, surprisingly, since we're a small town. Maybe he's passing through.

I was about to go to the kitchen to talk to Henry while Betsy took his order. But I didn't quite make it because she called me over. When I stood beside her, she said, "Chelsea put her notice in yesterday." Chelsea works when I'm not working. And sometimes we work together when we're busy or if Betsy's out. She continued to say," I hired Kyle, who you'll be training today."

"Oh okay," I said surprised. "I'm Sugar."

I stuck my hand out for him to shake. "Nice to meet you ."

"You to," I said. "Let's get started."

I showed Kyle all the basics. He shadowed me for a while.

He did pretty well with the customers. He knew many of them already. He was also nervous, but once he gets over that he'll do great.

"Out of curiosity, how old are you?" I asked Kyle.

"I'll be twenty-two in a couple weeks," he answered.

"What?" I said surprised. "I couldn't tell."

"I've heard not to ask a lady her age, but I'm also curious how old you are," he said.

"You can ask a lady her age, if appropriate setting. But you never guess a lady's age," I explained. "I'm eighteen."

"Awesome," he said. "I'm surprised I've never seen you around town. Have you lived here long?" 

"Not too long; a couple months," I answered. I haven't kept track of how long I've lived here, but that sounds right. "I live on the south side of Riverside."

"Oh okay," he said, "that explains it. I live on the north side. It's not much difference since we're such a small town, but I don't go past all these shops most the time. And there about in the  middle of Riverside."

"True; they are. So, how long have you lived here?" I replied.

"About twelve years," he answered.

"Cool."

"Order up for Kyle," Henry said.

Kyle looked at me for reassurance of what to do. I said to him, "It's all you, Kyle." He walked over to the window where the kitchen is located. He pulled the ticket from under one of the plates; then he took it to his customers. I smiled at how well he did. He's kind of worried me a couple times because he doesn't show much work confidence for being twenty-two years old.

Kyle left a little after two pm. I left at three pm. I spent 20 minutes telling Betsy how well he did and when he showed his faults. Betsy had only seen him work for a couple hours in the beginning and the last hour he was here because she had to go out of town for a bit.