September 1937

The whole family went apple picking. Lily was now 10 months old. Her ginger hair curled into little locks, and her crystal blue eyes glimmered at everyone.

Sybbie and Tom had moved back into Downton, but Sybbie went down to the village nearly everyday with Lily, so she spent at least half a day with Mason. Mason did not like that they had moved back, but he managed.

Lily was now old enough to interact, and everyone had a blast with her. She crawled around, always pulling on people's pants or dresses to be lifted into their arms. She always smiled, giggled, and played happily with whatever she was given.

Sybbie pushed Lily in the pram to the apple orchard. She slept the whole walk there.

"Donk, haven't you brought your basket?" Sybbie questioned.

"I'm not picking apples!" He retorted, "I'll sit on that bench over there."

"Then you can sit with Lily." Sybbie smiled mischievously.

Robert began to fuss, but Sybbie pushed the pram beside the bench and walked away. He eyed the sleeping baby and sulkily sat on the other end of the bench. When she slept on, he forgot the chance of her waking up and read the newspaper.

20 minutes later, Lily awoke and began to fuss. At first, Robert didn't hear her. Her little sounds turned into whimpers, which turned into soft crying. Robert turned to her and peered into the pram. Lily fussed and reached her arms up to him, beginning to cry louder.

Slowly, Robert looked up and saw the family had moved far into the orchard. He picked her up and held her.

"There there now. Why are we crying?" He cooed, walking around the back area with her.

Lily's cries began to settle into hiccups.

"Has mummy forgotten you in the pram over here with me? Don't worry, we'll have jolly good fun by ourselves." He smiled, tickling her belly.

She smiled back and giggled.

"Now then, what shall we do? Shall we look at the trees? Or take a walk around the orchard?" He asked her.

She clapped her hands together.

"Yes? Is looking at the trees what you'd like to do?"

She smiled, revealing a few teeth.

"Alright then."

---------------------------------------------

Sybbie walked back to the pram to collect another basket. She slowed down to admire the scene.

Robert was laying on a blanket on the ground, Lily sat on top of him. He held her on his hands above his head, and flew her through the air. She smiled with delight, and he chuckled at her reaction.

Sybbie smiled, satisfied. Donk had finally accepted his great granddaughter.