Chapter 5

My ears twitched towards the direction of every sound I heard in this forest. Last night, Twi was on watch while Ligero and I slept. We had already decided that we would search for the possibility of the other shape-shifter the trader talked about. It's been hours by now, and we still haven't picked up the scent of them, nor heard them.

I could hear everything around me. The birds chirping, rushing water, but no footsteps other than our own.

'He may already be in Rorath.' Ligero spoke up through the connection.

I looked at his blonde-colored fox. 'Maybe, but it's always good to be safe.'

'No, I agree with Ligero. If he came days before we did, then it's most likely he is in Rorath by now. If we want to find him, we should hurry before he leaves there.' Twi responded.

'Okay, then let's head there.'

We took off as fast as our four paws would go though the thick forest. I could see the front gates of Rorath in the distance by the time it was noon. A weird scent caught me and I stopped suddenly. Twi and Ligero stopped as well, they probably caught it too.

We could all tell it was coming from the east and we turned to follow it. As we became closer to it, I realized quickly what the smell was. Fire. I started to run faster as the memories of the night my parents died came flooding back.

I could still remember it as if I was there. We drew closer and closer until I saw a little farmhouse that was engulfed in flames. We quickly shifted back to our human form, and saw two adults on the front lawn.

"Rosie!" The mother cried out while her husband held her back, in tears.

I turned to the building and saw the shadow of a little girl. Without thinking, I charged in, knocking the door down but severely burning my left forearm in the process. A scream from upstairs was heard over the crackling if the fire.

I raced up the stairs as well as I could without injuring myself further, and when I made it to the top I turned to see a little girl with blonde hair. She was crouched in the corner and was clutching brown teddy bear.

"Hey. Hey, are you okay?" I asked soothingly.

"I'm scared," she said, tearfully.

"I know, but it's okay. God is watching over you and he sent me to get you out of here." Her shoulders relaxed a bit and I took light steps over to her.

1...2...3...4. One step at a time. My vision became blurry and it was getting harder to breath. I can't stay in a fire this big for this long. I don't know what would happen and I want to keep it that way.

I connected to Twi.'Twi? I have a favor to ask.'

'Glace?! What are you doing?! Get out of there!'

'Not yet. I need you to stand outside of the window on the second floor of the house, facing west.'

'I hope you know what you're doing.'

I continued to step lightly towards Rosie, wood creaking underneath me and fire blazing around me.

When I made it to her, I crouched down in front of her. "Rosie, I'm gonna need you to stand up so we can get out of here, okay?"

"O-okay." She slowly stood up with shaking legs and sweat beaded her forehead.

"That's it. Come on, follow me." I said when she was on her feet.

The floor began to feel weaker and the fire started to burn through my shoes. I grabbed Rosie's hand and led her over to the window. I opened it and the air was only clean for a second before smoke overcame it.

I looked out the window. "Twi!" I called out.

Twi looked up at me. I looked back at Rosie and scooped her in my arms. Turning back to the window, I thought I saw someone else behind me but there was no one.

"Twi!" I brought Rosie over the edge of the window and Twi held out her hands, ready to catch her.

'Oh, please God...' I thought and dropped Rose and Twi caught her.

I looked around and noticed that Ligero was gone. Just as I was about to call out to Twi, a piece of the roof caved in on top of me and I couldn't move.  When I opened my eyes, before passing out, all I saw was a sillouette carrying me and it had bright yellow eyes. Then everything went black.