Chapter 9

My breath ran out and my heart stopped. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to do.

All of these skeletons, all of them, once were shape-shifters. What happened here? Is this why we are the only ones left? So many questions flooded into my mind.

A bang on the ice caused a punch to hit my head off to the right and everyone snapped out of their thoughts.

"We...we should keep...going," Ligero whispered and moved on ahead.

"Come on," Twi said, struggling to keep me up.

"Hey, I can walk," I tried to tell her, but she wouldn't listen.

"No, your leg could be broken right now. There is no way I am-"

I let go of both of them, aimed my hands around my right leg, and ice began to form around my leg. When I was done, I made a crutch out of ice and began to catch up with Ligero.

I looked back at Agag and Twi,"Come on, I'm fine. I promise," I said, but they still didn't agree. They followed anyways.

As I limped around, trying to catch up to Ligero in the dark cave, I couldn't help but look at the dead skeletons of our kind. You could tell what they were, too. I spotted some that had deer antlers, some with fox ears like me, even some with the tail of a lion like Agag.

I may not of known them, but I could tell what element they used by what animal they were. Like most of the bears control earth, however some control plants.

Looking at them made me think of us. We four are the last of our kind. The possibility of there being more is likely, but not a high probability. With the Guard, a whole city even, after us it makes me more driven to survive.
------
We had been traveling through the cave for what seemed like a century, but with God on our side, we eventually found the light at the end of the path.

"There! That's our way out!" Twi exclaimed beside me and I ran up with them. Perk of being a shape-shifter, we heal a lot faster so my leg was doing a lot better and it seems like the people of Rorath had finally stopped trying to break the ice. Although, with me out of range, it's most likely it has melted by now.

At the end of the blinding light was an oasis. All four of us stood in awe before Ligero finally ran towards the spring. He jumped in and water splashed everywhere. Twi was up next, I was about to run in but Agag wasn't moving.

I stopped and looked back at him,"Hey. You aren't coming?"

"I can't," he replied,"fire and water don't mix well."

"Wait, you've never had a bath then? Or gone swimming?"

"I have had a bath, but it was super hot. I'm not unhygienic or anything."

"Come on! Please?" I begged. I know I was acting like a child, but it wasn't fair that we go swimming and have fun while Agag just stands back in fear.

He looked me in the eye,"Okay, fine," he finally gave in.

"Yes!" I grabbed his right hand and dragged him all the way to the spring where we both fell in with Ligero and Twi.

I swam back to the surface of the water where I was met by Agag. "See? It's not all that bad. Except when it's being used against you-" he interrupted me by dunking me underwater.

When I got back up to breath, I looked at him and smirked,"Your turn!" I said and dunked him underwater.

He came back up and was laughing. Someone from behind splashed me and I turned back and splashed both Twi and Ligero.