Chapter 8

My feet landed at the bottom of the slide, and I quickly looked up to see how he was going to do. My brow scrunched in worry, if he can't handle the cold weather it could be fatal, as ridiculous as that sounds.

I spotted his head from the top of the wall. One second he was in front of the slide, the next he was gone and the slide began melting behind him as he slid. Sweat began to dot my brow.

There was no question as to where he was on the slide in my mind. Ice became water all the way down until the last piece melted with his feet planting in the grass. The fire began to slowly disappear from his body, and he stood up.

"Let's not do that again, please," he said, placing his hands on his hips.

We heard shuffling from the other end of the wall and turned to see what it was."There they are! Get the monsters!" It was the same man from before, the man who was leading the townspeople of Rorath against us.

"Run!" We didn't know which one of us yelled, but we all agreed with what was said.

We took off through the dense forest with the townspeople running after us in vengeance. Their torches lit up the dark oak trees in an eerie way, the moon lit our path in front of us. I could hear nothing but the horrific screeches and yells from behind, yelling at us.

After a few minutes, my friends and I came across a cave. It was pitch black in there and it didn't look really safe, but we had no where else to turn.

We looked at each other and we understood what we were going to do. Ligero stopped and turned to the townsfolk of Rorath and sent forth a blinding light towards them, causing them to fall down. Meanwhile, the rest of us rushed to the cave, except I stood at the entrance.

"Ligero! Come on!" I yelled.

He turned back to me and ran quickly to the cave. As soon as he did, I created the thickest ice wall I could make with God's help. The people of Rorath must have noticed what was going on, the next thing we knew they were pounding against the ice with their fists.

I continued to hold it back, though. One pound after another, they began hitting me harder and harder. One hit me square in the stomach and I collapsed, but the ice wall still remained.

The fire shape-shifter rushed to my side and laid his hand on me. He turned to Twi and Ligero,"What's going on?! What's happening to her?!"

Twi grabbed his arm and dragged him away,"Relax, the pain will dissolve quickly with God's help."

"But what's happening-"

"When Glace creates ice objects it's like putting a piece of her soul into something. Because that's where God placed her power. Them hitting that ice wall is like punching her in the face. You could pound that wall all you want, but it would never work. If you want to get rid of the ice, you have to go through her. And with God on her side, that's not going to happen. Right now, if you want to help her, letting her concentrate is your best bet."

"I get it. It's like when I create fire if you want to get rid of it, you would have to cut my tail off, that's what holds my power together. I'm Agag, by the way."

"I'm Twi, this is Ligero, and that's-"

The pounding stopped, and so I stood. "Glace. My name is Glace."

Twi's mouth went down in shock. "What's wrong, Twi?" She grabbed my face and twisted it, focusing on my forehead.

"Ow! Twi that hurts!"

"There's a big bruise on your forehead!"

"So?!"

"Which one of those people did that to you?!"

"Like I know!"

She let go of me and I tried to feel the bruise on my forehead. I touched a certain spot and immediately flinched and gritted my teeth.

"Glace, you have cuts all over you," Ligero spoke up.

I looked on my arms and he was right. Big cuts, little scratches all the way up and down my arms. "I'll be fine," I insisted, but from their expressions I could tell none of them were buying it, especially Agag.

"Where are we, anyways?" he spoke up.

We all looked behind us but couldn't see anything. Twi's eyes turned severely black and she looked around. "Well, Ligero, a little word of advice. Don't light up the place."

"Why not, we can't see-" Ligero started, but Twi cut him off.

"You guys wouldn't want to see what's in here. Everyone just follow in a straight line behind me,"she said then continued moving on. Ligero followed her, Agag and I exchanged glances before following.

We had only moved a few feet before something nailed me in the leg so hard, I was sent flying to the ground. I grunted and fried out in pain. My hands grasped the rocks in front of me and tears slid down my cheeks. We all looked back to see the townspeople of Rorath were back, and they brought some toys this time.

Knives, swords, pitchforks, arrows, clubs, they had brought so many weapons I couldn't count them. You could see them so clearly through the ice. Of course, none of them had made a crack on the wall, but my left leg looks like it could have.

I struggled to get up, and at one point I couldn't, until Agag and Twi lifted me up by both arms. I flinched a little, but we had to make it out of here.

"Ligero, light up the place, but just a warning," we all looked to her,"there's going to be some things you will see that will make you know why we are the only shape-shifters left."

I could see in her eyes how horrid these things must be, but we had no other choice. We were pushed up against a wall with a very small way out, we had to take it.

Ligero closed his eyes, as did Agag and I, Twi kept hers open. His hand opened with a little ball of light. I opened my eyes last and there was a deathly silence among all of us.

There, surrounding all of us, we're dozens of shape-shifters skeletons. I screamed.