Part 2: The Forgotten Past

The next morning, Priya traveled to her family's ancestral home in Thanjavur, where her great-uncle, a priest in one of the oldest Shiva temples, might hold the key to unraveling the mystery. Her great-uncle, Swaminathan Iyengar, was a respected scholar of Tamil history and Vedic rituals, and despite his age, his memory of ancient lore was sharper than anyone she knew.

When Priya showed him the letter and the copper plate, his reaction was immediate and intense. His hands trembled as he held the plate, his eyes narrowing as he read the inscription. "Nagapasham," he whispered, barely audible. "So, it has resurfaced."

"What do you know about this, Thatha?" Priya asked, using the Tamil word for grandfather, as was custom in her family to address elders.

Her great-uncle sat down slowly, as though the weight of the knowledge was too much to bear. He began to recount a story that had been passed down through generations in their family, a story that connected the Varadarajan lineage to the Chola dynasty and to an ancient war with a forgotten serpent cult.

Centuries ago, during the reign of Rajendra Chola I, a powerful and secretive sect known as the Naga Sramana arose in Tamil Nadu. They worshipped Ananta, the serpent who lies coiled at the base of creation, and believed that by communing with him, they could attain immortality and control over life and death. Their practices were dark, involving human sacrifice and rituals that bound their souls to serpents.

The Chola kings, fearing the influence of the Naga Sramana, waged a bloody campaign to wipe out the cult. The cult's high priests were captured, and the island where they conducted their rituals—Naga Theevu—was purged. But before their demise, the priests cursed the island, vowing that the power of the Nagapasham would one day return, bringing death and destruction to all who sought it.

"Your ancestors," Swaminathan said, his voice low, "were part of the Chola royal court. They were the ones who sealed the island's secrets, ensuring that the Nagapasham was hidden away forever. But some believed the curse was not just a story. That's why your family has always guarded certain knowledge... until now."

Priya's mind raced. Could it be that her family was somehow tied to the curse? And what was this Nagapasham—an idol or something more? She needed to know more, and she needed to act quickly. The letter had made that clear. Time was running out.

Her great-uncle handed her an old leather-bound book from his personal collection, its pages filled with ancient Tamil texts and faded drawings. "This is all I can give you. The rest, you will have to discover for yourself."