- Chapter One

────────────────

────────────────

Harper rubbed her eyes tiredly, staring blankly at the barista before her. She came to the same café every morning, always at 8 am and she'd never seen this boy before. He was young, maybe in his early 20s, with a red mohawk and black sleeves under his band tee. Misunderstood, Harper thought.

She always did that. Tried to read people. It was a subconscious habit, a long history of getting to know people's stories and connecting the threads. She was a journalist even off the clock, her mind constantly searching for her next story.

It was Monday morning; Harper knew she had a briefing for a new assignment that day – something to do with a feature article on an FBI team. She knocked gently on her editor's door, smiling as she walked in.

Vanessa, her headstrong and firm editor smiled back. She always held a very no-nonsense attitude and got straight to the point.

"I want you to start on this story ASAP."

Harper nodded, used to the lack of greeting.

"Okay, what are the notes?"

Vanessa slid a file across the desk towards her.

"They're called the Behavioural Analysis Unit, it's a team of seven profilers who analyse behaviour to assist criminal investigations," she looked up, "kind of like you, actually.

I want a full spread of all seven members, but I want you to focus on one in particular."

She pulled the file apart, spreading fact sheets of the seven unfamiliar faces apart to point at one in particular.

He looked tall, lanky, and well-dressed in a tie and vest. Harper couldn't tell much about him from the photo. Smart, maybe? Definitely the youngest.

"Why him?" Harper asked Vanessa.

"He's intriguing," she responded.

"Apparently, he is some kind of genius, IQ through the roof, eidetic memory. The BAU Golden Boy. He's got a bit of a reputation – he's reclusive, enigmatic. From what I've heard he's experienced major loss.