- Chapter Five

────────────────

────────────────

Callum Turner as Nate.

Harper paced her apartment, blue-striped pyjamas dragging along the wooden floors. Her laptop was opened on the table before her, taunting her. Every few minutes, Harper would sit down and stare at the screen before jumping back up and returning to pacing.

Her mind, her ability to write, was clogged by her emotions. Her first several drafts had come across as too positive; she knew Vanessa would disapprove. They read as if she'd been paid to applaud Spencer. She had tried approaching it from a different angle, focusing on the profiling and using more of the other team members' comments, but it was too detached, too formal.

She read over her notes for the hundredth time. The content was amazing, rich and deep. She had everything she needed for a fantastic article.

Harper picked up her phone, fingers tapping against the case. She opened Spencer's contact and stared at the screen, mouth scrunched to the side. Her fingers hovered over the message option, flicking back and forth between call and text.

She didn't even know what she wanted to say.

She didn't know what else she had to ask him, how she could possibly justify another professional interview. They had already had over five conversations that she'd recorded in her notebook. She contemplated messaging him that she had finished one of the books he gave her, that she had really enjoyed it and bought herself a copy.

Her eyes flicked up to the time, 06:49 am. It was far too early to send a professional message.

She sighed and turned her phone off, pushing it across the table and watching it slide.

Spencer, who always arrived early to work, checked his watch.

06:51 am. The rest of the team would arrive within the next half hour. He opened the files on his desk, sighing a little to himself. After every case came paperwork, hours and hours of paperwork, even at his pace.

He was determined to get it finished quickly today, he was tired and wanted to go home early to read. He hadn't had a chance to open The Secret History yet, and it was killing him.

Flipping to the second page, Spencer hesitated. That first page had just taken him over ten seconds to read. It was only about 700 words. Normally, he could read that much in half the time. He frowned as he paused, his mind was elsewhere lately.