Chapter 5: First party

Morticia's cheeks burned under Klaus' intense gaze. Was this the right thing to do?

His expression shifted quickly, replaced by his usual cold demeanor.

"How do I look?" she asked, excitement clear in her voice.

"Good," he said with a shrug, and Morticia's face fell. "Let's go," he added, leaving the room first.

Good? Just good, after all the effort she put into dressing up?

"I don't think he even noticed me," Morticia muttered as Nica drove them to the party. Dimitri and Klaus were in another car, already ahead.

"Tsk... Sin never tells a girl she looks good. He usually tells them to fuck off. But you, you're different."

"That's not the first time he's said I look good," she mumbled. What was the point of all this? Though something felt different this time, she couldn't quite place it.

Maybe he only said it to avoid hurting her feelings because she was Vincent's sister.

Morticia expected the birthday party to be a typical event, filled with well-wishes and gifts, but it was nothing like that.

It was completely out of her league.

A frat house filled with unruly people smoking, drinking, and indulging in intimate activities and drugs. She swallowed nervously.

Klaus was right. She didn't belong here.

"Come on," Nica nudged, leading her inside. There was a line at the entrance, but Nica pulled her straight to a large, tattooed guard who looked dangerous.

His gaze flicked to Morticia, then back to Nica.

"She's with me," Nica said, and the guard stepped aside for them to go in.

Morticia was immediately hit by loud, wild music and a crowd of young adults dancing. She was thankful she had brought her inhaler, as smoke filled almost every corner.

It was too late to turn back now.

She finally spotted Klaus, Dimitri, and some unfamiliar faces, all tattooed and smoking. She couldn't be with them, the smoke would definitely affect her.

"Wait," Morticia stopped Nica from taking her over.

"Is everything alright?"

"I can't be around smoke. I'm asthmatic," she admitted, biting her lip.

"What? Oh my God, I'm sorry. Let's find somewhere better," Nica said, leading her away from Klaus and the others.

"This is Jamie," Nica introduced a new guy. He seemed calm, handsome, and unlike the others, not tattooed.

"Hey," they greeted each other.

"Who's she?" Jamie asked with a calm smile.

"A friend of mine. She doesn't like smoke. Can we sit with you?" Nica asked.

"Sure."

"I'll be right back," Nica excused herself to get drinks, leaving Morticia feeling nervous sitting with a stranger at a party that was completely out of her comfort zone. Though Jamie seemed cool-not rogue like the others.

"What's your name, pretty?" he asked, their eyes meeting.

"Morticia."

He frowned and chuckled. "Morticia? Like Morticia Addams?"

"Huh... How do you know?"

"Your last name is Addams? Morticia Addams is a character from 'The Addams Family'. How did you end up with that name?"