Chapter 74: A New Challenge

The sun cast a golden glow over the royal palace as King Cosmos and Prime Minister Varen made their way to the council chamber. The morning air was crisp, yet the mood within the palace was far from tranquil. A new issue had arisen—one that demanded their immediate attention.

Cosmos, his expression sharp and determined, walked beside Varen, whose calm and collected demeanor contrasted the king's intensity. The two rulers had managed to steer Canterlot through economic and political turbulence, but now, something unexpected had come to light: an agricultural problem that threatened the kingdom's food supply.

As they entered the chamber, the king wasted no time. He gestured for the attending ministers to take their seats, his eyes locking with Varen's as they approached the head of the table.

"Tell me more about this situation," Cosmos said, his tone impatient. "We can't afford any disruptions to our food production—not now."

Varen, ever the tactician, adjusted his cloak as he prepared to explain. "It seems there have been reports from the outer farmlands—regions closest to the Everfree Forest. Crops have begun to fail unexpectedly. Farmers are reporting strange patterns of withering in the soil, and several key agricultural sectors are seeing reduced yields. If this continues, it could threaten our reserves for the upcoming season."

Cosmos furrowed his brow, leaning forward with concern. "What's the cause? Is it a disease? Or something magical in nature?"

"That is what we are still determining," Varen replied. "Our investigators are exploring both possibilities. The farmers suspect that there may be something wrong with the soil itself, but we cannot rule out the possibility of an outside force, possibly connected to the Everfree. Its magic is unpredictable, as you know."

The mention of the Everfree Forest always brought a shadow of uncertainty to the room. The ancient, untamed wilderness had long been a source of mystery, its wild magic sometimes spilling over into the kingdom's borders. But for it to affect the farmland so directly was rare, and if true, could spell disaster.

Cosmos tapped his hoof against the table, deep in thought. "We need answers—quickly. What's our current food situation? How long before this affects the population directly?"

Varen gestured to a minister who held several scrolls of reports. The minister unrolled one of them, clearing his throat as he spoke. "Your Majesty, Prime Minister—the current food reserves are sufficient for the next several months. However, if the affected areas continue to decline in production, we could see a significant shortage within half a year. We rely heavily on those farmlands for staple crops such as oats, barley, and wheat."

The room fell silent for a moment as everyone absorbed the gravity of the situation. Cosmos clenched his jaw, his mind racing with solutions.

"We can't let it get that far," he said firmly. "We need to address this at once. Varen, I want a task force assembled—agricultural experts, magical researchers, anyone who can find the root cause of this problem. The Everfree cannot be allowed to encroach on our lands unchecked."

Varen nodded. "I've already spoken with the head of the magical studies department. They're sending a team to investigate the soil and any residual magic that could be affecting the crops. As for the agricultural side, we'll bring in the top experts to assess whether there are natural causes—disease, pests, or other environmental factors."

Cosmos stood, pacing the room as he considered their options. "If the Everfree is involved, we need to be prepared. We can't rule out the possibility of a magical disaster. Make sure our reserves are protected, and send word to the neighboring regions. They need to prepare for a possible shortage."

"Agreed," Varen said. "We must take swift action, but we must also be cautious not to create panic. The public cannot know the full extent of the problem—not yet."

Cosmos paused, his gaze darkening. "You're right. We can't afford mass unrest on top of everything else. Keep this as contained as possible. Only those directly involved in solving the problem need to know."

Varen gave a small nod. "Understood. I will ensure that the teams are assembled immediately. In the meantime, we may want to consider rationing some non-essential food products. It will buy us time if the situation worsens."

Cosmos nodded in agreement, though the idea of rationing troubled him. The kingdom had only recently come out of a period of unrest, and while the economy was on the rise, the morale of the citizens was still fragile. The last thing he wanted was for the people to feel as though they were once again on the brink of crisis.

"What about the royal estates?" Cosmos asked after a moment. "We have vast lands used for growing crops specifically for the royal family. Perhaps we could shift some of that to support the population if needed."

Varen raised an eyebrow at the suggestion. "That would certainly be a gesture of goodwill, Your Majesty, but we must be careful not to deplete our own resources too drastically. Still, it could be a viable option, especially if it's necessary to keep the people satisfied."

Cosmos sighed heavily, rubbing his temple with a hoof. "Very well. We'll consider it as a last resort. For now, focus on finding the cause of this problem. I want updates every day—no detail is too small."

Varen nodded, his expression serious. "Of course, Your Majesty. I'll oversee the task force myself. We will get to the bottom of this."

As the council meeting drew to a close, Cosmos stood and addressed the room. "This problem must be solved quickly and quietly. Canterlot depends on it. Make no mistake, this is not just an agricultural issue—it's a matter of our kingdom's survival."

The ministers bowed their heads in agreement, and the room began to empty as they left to carry out their orders.

Cosmos remained behind for a moment, staring out the large windows that overlooked the farmlands in the distance. He could see the rolling hills and fields that had sustained his kingdom for generations, but now, they seemed vulnerable—threatened by forces both natural and unnatural.

Varen lingered at his side, his voice soft but resolute. "We'll find the solution, Your Majesty. We always do."

Cosmos gave a curt nod. "See to it, Varen. The kingdom cannot afford to falter—not now."

With that, the two leaders exited the chamber, already preparing for the battle that lay ahead—one not fought with spears or cannons, but with the careful balance of nature, magic, and the will to survive.