Chapter 79: A Cure and a Trap

The sun hung low in the sky, casting a warm, amber glow over the towers of Canterlot. Inside the royal palace, King Cosmos paced back and forth in his grand chamber, his mind torn between the fate of his kingdom and the health of his beloved wife, Galaxia.

For weeks, her condition had worsened. The illness she had contracted from her secret affair with Elysian had taken a heavy toll on her body. Once a radiant and commanding figure, she now lay bedridden, her once-strong wings fragile, her magical aura dimming with each passing day. The royal healers had tried every remedy they knew, but none had been able to slow the illness's advance.

Cosmos couldn't bear to watch her fade away. He had made mistakes, but this was one he could not afford to lose. Galaxia was not only his queen but also his partner in ruling Canterlot, a cornerstone of the kingdom's strength. Without her, his reign would feel incomplete.

That's why he had summoned the head of Canterlot's science sector, Professor Nimbus, a brilliant but eccentric unicorn known for pushing the boundaries of scientific knowledge. Nimbus entered the chamber with a cautious expression, sensing the urgency of the situation.

"Professor Nimbus," Cosmos began, his voice low but firm, "Galaxia is dying. The healers have failed, but I refuse to accept that there is no hope. I want you to develop a cure—something that can save her, no matter how unconventional it may be."

Nimbus bowed his head, understanding the gravity of the request. "Your Majesty, I will do everything in my power. However, developing a cure for an illness of this nature will require extensive research, experimentation, and, most importantly, time. We will need to study her condition at a deeper level, and this will require cooperation with the magical research department as well."

"Time is something we don't have," Cosmos growled, his frustration palpable. "I will give you access to any resources you need. Whatever it takes. Just make sure you find a solution."

Nimbus nodded, his mind already racing through possibilities. "I will begin immediately, Your Majesty. But I must warn you—there are no guarantees."

"I don't care about guarantees," Cosmos snapped. "I care about results. Go."

With that, Nimbus bowed once more and hurried out of the chamber, knowing that the weight of the king's expectations now rested squarely on his shoulders.

As Cosmos watched Nimbus leave, a knock came at the door. A royal guard entered and bowed. "Your Majesty, an ambassador from Obsidian Crest has arrived. He requests an audience."

Cosmos's eyes narrowed. The mention of Obsidian's name always stirred a deep sense of unease in him, but this was different. Ever since Elysian's execution and the collapse of Obsidian's infiltration, the tension between the two factions had only grown worse. Still, the thought of peace—even a fragile one—was tempting.

"Send him in," Cosmos commanded.

The ambassador, a tall unicorn with a smooth, silver mane and dark cloak, stepped into the room. His demeanor was calm, even respectful, but Cosmos could sense the underlying tension. He had been in politics long enough to know when someone was hiding something.

"Your Majesty," the ambassador greeted with a low bow. "I come bearing a message from Obsidian Crest. He wishes to propose a new round of peace talks, but this time, he requests that you visit his personal hideout to discuss terms face-to-face. He believes such a meeting, away from the eyes of the public, will allow for a more honest and productive conversation."

Cosmos raised an eyebrow. The idea of visiting Obsidian's stronghold struck him as both bold and reckless, but it was clear that this was not a simple request. Obsidian was challenging him, testing his willingness to compromise or perhaps his fear of confrontation.

"Why should I believe that Obsidian is truly interested in peace?" Cosmos asked, his tone sharp. "He's made attempts on my kingdom, sent spies, and now, after all his failures, he thinks I will trust him enough to walk into his domain?"

The ambassador remained unfazed. "I understand your hesitation, Your Majesty. But Obsidian has realized that continued conflict will only lead to mutual destruction. His forces are tired, and he knows that Canterlot's defenses are stronger than ever. He wants peace, as do you. This meeting could be the first step toward ending this long-standing feud."

Cosmos considered the offer, his mind weighing the risks. On the one hoof, this could be a genuine attempt to reach a resolution. On the other, it could be a trap—a ploy to lure him into Obsidian's grasp and eliminate him once and for all.

But he couldn't ignore the prospect of peace, especially with Galaxia's deteriorating health and the mounting responsibilities weighing him down. The kingdom needed stability now more than ever.

"Very well," Cosmos said, his voice filled with caution. "I will agree to meet with Obsidian Crest. But I will not go unprotected. I will bring my most trusted guards and advisors."

The ambassador smiled, though there was a hint of something darker behind his eyes. "Of course, Your Majesty. Obsidian will respect your precautions. I shall deliver your acceptance to him at once."

As the ambassador left, Cosmos leaned back in his chair, his thoughts racing. He could sense the danger, the possibility of betrayal. But he couldn't back down now. If there was even a chance to secure peace and bring an end to this conflict, he had to take it.

He just hoped that, in doing so, he wasn't walking into a deadly trap.