Star Trek Voyager: Fragments (Chapter 3)

Annika frowned in confusion at the computer screen before her, her hopes that in-depth research would allay her suspicions well and truly dashed as she once again scanned the list of personnel files Tuvok had accessed. She sighed bitterly; there were just too many unsolved questions…  The doorbell’s sharp, insistent ring pulled her from the dark and bottomless well of her own thoughts and brought back more immediate concerns. Why was she even involving this man? If she really did suspect something criminal, if that’s even what this was, it would be more rational to involve the police force than a stranger who could do no more to rectify the situation than she could… The doorbell rang once again and this time she forced herself to mutedly say, “Come in.”

Amal stepped into the small and dimly lit, yet very minimalist and tidy sitting room, and stamped his dripping shoes on the doormat, struggling to figure out what he could possibly say to this woman, whom he didn’t believe would be particularly social at the best of times, under such unusual circumstances. Finally he settled on, “Hi. It’s raining really hard out there.”

“I can see that.” Annika replied quietly, pausing for a second before indicating the computer. “I have discovered information which would appear to substantiate our concerns…”

Amal’s brows furrowed for a moment as he thought, are we really sure what our concerns are? From the uncertainty in her voice he knew she wasn’t sure what to make of it either and that knowledge was enough to push him in a serious, almost professionally calm, state which impressed Annika as he immediately joined her at the computer. “What did you find out about the people on the list first of all?” he asked her.

“There are one hundred and thirty eight individuals in all, including the two of us. They are all highly skilled and all assigned to the power distribution plant in one way or another…” She trailed off, knowing she had to continue but nervous of the disruption that it may cause in her life.

“Go on.” Amal encouraged quietly.

Taking a deep breath, she continued, “85% of the group are the same species, humans from Earth, and we all arrived on the same day.”

Amal mulled this new information around in his head for a minute or two before answering, “Over a hundred skilled workers, all from a distant planet no one around here seems to have heard of previously, suddenly arrive en masse during a system wide labour shortage? That strikes me as too convenient to be a coincidence…”

Annika gave a brisk nod, pleased that he was following her train of thought almost exactly. “Precisely. There’s more…”

The front door being pushed open interrupted her and Amal was surprised to see a boy in his late teens enter the room, addressing Annika without noticing his presence, “Mother, the electrical engineer has offered me extra training time tonight so I’ll not be back until 2130 hours…” The boy paused, seeing his adoptive mother’s pink tinged face  and finally noticing the stranger standing to the side. “State your reason for being here.” He addressed Amal stiffly.

Amal hurriedly stepped forward, hand extended. “Amal Kotay. I’m here to…”

Annika cut in, “He’s the new thermal engineer Icheb. I am advising him of the safety and efficiency protocols at the plant.”

Icheb assessed Amal with fresh eyes. “A wise undertaking.” He commented as Amal now got a proper look at him, underneath the metal he and his mother did not appear to be the same species, although their mannerisms were too similar for him to say there was no resemblance.

Annika seemed to recover herself then, “Remember you are only on an apprenticeship, they are not to overwork you…” She sounded anxious.

Icheb inclined his head. “If I wish to qualify for the next stage of exams I must get work experience.”

Annika considered this, “You may go.”

Icheb beamed at her. “Thank you Mother!” He snatched up his toolbox and headed back towards the door, “I will not exceed my allotted hours I assure you.”

“Good. Have you consumed nutrients?”

If Amal wasn’t mistaken he saw Icheb roll his eyes slightly at the question. “An hour ago Mother.” He assured her but before leaving his eyes flicked between the pair and Annika saw him arch a brow at her questioningly as he left.

The room was in a dead silence for a few seconds after Icheb’s departure before Amal, worried he had kissed a married woman in the heat of the moment, had the courage to say, “You never said you had a son…”

Annika shot him a look. “He’s adopted.” She stated, as if she’d heard his last thought. “And I never had any reason to tell you.” She pointed out before her tone softened as she explained, “We were both Borg drones who were freed, both alone, and so we stayed together.”

“How’d you get here?”

“There aren’t many planets who would take us, even though neither of us can remember much of our lives as drones.” Amal nodded in understanding, suppressing his feeling that she was lying and remembered more of it than she was letting on. “Why did you come here?” she asked suddenly.

Amal shifted uncomfortably, “War, upheaval…” Annika was tempted to ask against whom, thinking of the grey faced aliens she’d seen when she’d touched him, but the hatred that had flooded him at the image still haunted her. Amal quickly changed the subject. “Icheb… His name is on that list, right?”

“He is not to be involved in this!” Annika snapped, eyes flashing protectively.

Amal raised his hands defensively, he’d obviously hit on a raw nerve. “You said you discovered more…”

Ashamed of her outburst, Annika collected herself and beckoned him back over to the computer, setting her mind back firmly on the task at hand, “The files say we were all admitted into the hospital…”

Amal shrugged at her. “Isn’t that common practice?”

“Quarantine is yes, but we were all processed through Level 6, neural pathology, and I don’t remember being there!”

“Neither do I, why the hell would they… Wait, wasn’t Tuvok put through there too? Look up dysphoria syndrome.”

Annika pulled the information up and began to read, “Dysphoria syndrome is a very rare degenerative mental health disorder, occurring in less than 0.01% of the Quarran population. Its symptoms include, headaches, nausea, mood swings, memory loss, confusion and hallucinations. The foremost expert in this field of study is Dr Kadan of Central Industrial Hospital No. 1…”

“That’s our guy.” Amal commented, “Keep going, what does he do?”

Annika continued, “Dr Kadan has very successfully pioneered an effective treatment for dysphoria syndrome…” As her eyes settled on the next words her breath caught in her throat and her face drained of colour.

“Annika?” Amal questioned in concern, his hand brushing her shoulder, “What is it?”

Annika inhaled deeply and turned away from the screen to look him directly in the eyes. “His recommended treatment is memory engram re-sequencing.”