Skylar Grey

It's Katie's birthday. I jolt up in bed at that thought.
"Grandpa, can we drive to the store?" 10:27 AM. Way too early for me to be awake.
"Sure, one minute." I throw on a shirt and cargo shorts and wear my black slides. I am so tired, that I don't care what I look like. And normally I do, so she won't recognize me if she sees me.
We get in the car and I pull out my wallet. I got two twenties, one of which I'll use.
"Where are we off to kiddo?"
"The nearest mall." As soon as the giant structure comes into view, I think about what she would want. Probably jewelry. I run into Macy's and get a 10 dollar silver tennis bracelet. We go and also get a balloon and an extension cord. Don't ask. After grandpa slept in the car and I ran around like an idiot, the errand was done and now we could go to IHop and pig out.
I order a banana pudding stack which is heaven. And grandpa gets Belgium waffles, not thinking twice before dousing them in syrup and letting powder sugar sift down like snow.
We dig in, leave an 8 dollar tip and make our way back home. As soon as our car pulls into the neighborhood, I see Katie sitting on her porch, watching her sprinklers water the grass.
"Grandpa keep going."
"What do you mean?"
"Just to be safe. Pull up to the house a few yards down."
"Got it." He redirects the car away from our driveway and parks next to a nice blue house with petunias in the front flower bed. We spy on her from the back window for a few minutes and it turns out that she was waiting for ETHAN to save her. I roll my eyes and sigh as they walk down the road together. At least she's gone. We bring the car back around and sneakily get inside to get things ready. I lug my father's old stereo that we took with us outside and hook it up to the extension cord and then to the outdoor outlet. I connect my phone to it. I attach the "Happy Birthday!" balloon to the mailbox and we wait. Luckily they didn't take a hike or something, just a quick walk. Five minutes later she's coming around the corner of the street. I turn the volume of the stereo all the way up and press play.
"I'm coming home
I'm coming home
Tell the world I'm coming home"
"JAMES" and it's magical as she runs to me. Through the sprinklers and the sun I see a rainbow and the reunited couple at the end is the pot of gold. She jumps into my arms and wraps her legs around my torso.
"Katie, I missed you!"
"I missed you too."
"I don't know how I lived without you."
"Me neither."
"I love you so much."
"I love you too. Don't ever forget that."
"As long as you don't leave me again."
"I won't." She buries her face into the space between my chest and neck. She takes my face in her hands and plants her lips on mine and I swear this day is perfect.
"Hey, I hope I'm not interrupting anything. But if you would excuse me." The bastard pries us apart.
"Ethan. Can I talk to you for a minute?"
~KATIE~
I pull him aside.
"Ethan."
"Katie."
"You said that I can try us out."
"Yeah."
"Well, we don't fit. I'm sorry."
"What do you mean?"
"Ethan. I love you. But only as a brother. I can only have the relationship that I have with James....With James."
"Oh. I get it."
"I'm really sorry and I hate to put you through this. But I just want us to be neighbors, friends. That's it."
"It's fine. You gave me a chance and I appreciate it." I peck him on the cheek.

We walk back not as awkward as I thought it would be.
I can't believe James is back!

"James."
"Katie." I wrap my arms around his built body again and his warmth feels so familiar and safe.
"I'm gonna go."
"Bye Ethan." I look at the ground.
"Bye Ethan." James mimics when he's out of earshot.
"That was mean."
"Don't worry, he'll be fine."
"You sure?"
"If I'm as sure as I am in love? Then I'm 100% sure." He winks at me and then kisses my neck. And I have to admit, I almost melt.
~~~~~~~~~~
I sit on his bed in his room that looks nothing like "his room" used to.
"Everything is the same. Just in a different place." He pulls out a blue box and lifts the top. A silver tennis bracelet.
"James, it's beautiful." He pulls it out and fumbles with the clasp. Then finally secures it around my wrist.
"Happy birthday." He whispers against my lips and then connects ours. He takes my hand in his and turns on his phone's music. "Therapy" starts playing. Hand in hand we dance slow. "Give me therapy." He sings.
"Ok." And I bring my lips to his.
"Take a dose of your own medicine." He comments and then kisses me. And let's just say some thing led to another and one crazy and awesome make out session later, we were in each other's arms listening to the background music of one of his favorite songs. And everything is how it was and how it should be. And let's hope it's how it forever will be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A SHORT CHAPTER TO MIX THINGS UP. SO THE YOUNG COUPLE HAS FOUND EACH OTHER AGAIN... YAY!
LETS HOPE THINGS DON'T GET MESSED UP. LOVE YOU GUYS!
💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋