The Incident

"Breakfast." He mumbles.
"Right here." I push his hair back with my hand and place a kiss above the space between his eyebrows. I place the warm plate on his lap and he sits up.
"Mmm.. Eggs, bacon-"
"Grits, sausage!"
"Hun, the sausage isn't on the plate." He says with a wink.
"No it's there. But the tic tac isn't on the plate."
"What are you trying to say?"
I lean in really close.
"You know what I'm trying to say." And peck him on the lips.
"I don't like what you're trying to say." I chuckle and leave him to devour his meal. I go to the bathroom and wash my face. Then actually go to the bathroom.
FLASHBACK: He holds my hands and leads me onto the wooden floor. The music is flowing through the loose air as I wobble around. Inexperience is not only embarrassing, but dangerous as I almost fall on my face. But every time I slip, Ethan is there to catch me. To bring me close to him and hold me in his arms. To sing along with me as his voice cracks and we nearly die of laughter while being yelled at for holding up other skaters. He spins us around slowly and as he pulls me closer, we spin faster and faster.

I wash my hands, walk out and James is standing there.
"Hi."
"Sup."
"What are you doing?"
"Observing the wall."
"Ok. Have fun with that." I move him aside and push an eyebrow up.
"We should do something today, Kitty."
"Sure, and did you just call me Kitty?"
"Yeah..." He rubs his neck.
"I like it."
"Really?"
"No."
"What should we do?"
"Roller rink is open today from 8AM-5PM." The place just happens to be on my mind.
"Cool, let's do that."
~~~~~~~~~~~
Half an hour later we headed over a few blocks down. I can see the bright lights of the neon sign as we approach the parking lot. James holds the door for me.
"Know what?"
"What?"
"I think that guys say, 'After you' to a lady just to look at her butt."
"Wow, you're good." He admits and I roll my eyes...classic. He puts a $20 bill on the counter.
"11"
"7" we get our shoes and walk over to a bench. Slipping them on, he ties my laces and takes my hand to help me up. We open the little door to get onto the floor. The disco lights crawl across the walls and the upbeat music gets my blood pumping. He holds my hand tightly and skates backwards towing me along.
"Show off!" I shout over the music to him and he grins. He lets go of me briefly to spin around then finds my hands again. I shake my head and we hold hands as the rush of adrenaline takes it from there.

Soon enough the couples skate has taken over and I wrap my arms around his neck. His warm hands on my back as I lean into him.
"Never saw a roller skater in you." I mumble.
"Skateboarding just helps with balance, my natural skills take it from there." He winks.
"What skills?"
"These." He grabs me and throws me in the air, I twirl around(more like flail like a fish)and he catches me.
"You have to admit, that was all me."
"Sure, Hun."
And as I hold him and he holds me, a new song comes on. "I Want You Back". I mouth the lyrics, "Hey, boy you never had much game
Thought I needed to upgrade
So I went and walked away way way." I hold his face and bring his lips to mine. As I look around at the spinning lights, I spot a devastated Ethan standing in the door way of the rink. The very appropriate lyrics start blasting over the speakers,
"Remember all the things that you and I did first?
And now you're doing them with her?" Except the roles are changed. All the things that we did first. And now I'm doing them with him. A growing wave of guilt and grief wash over me, pushing me into the sand of desperation. I let go of his hands.
"I'm going to get a drink." I clutch the wall all the way to the exit and as I pass, he grabs the cloth of my shirt.
//////JAMES//////
"I'm going to get a drink." I feel her warmth leave my hands. Before she leaves the rink, someone grabs her. ETHAN.
I skate over at lightning speed.
"Get your fucking hands off my girlfriend!" I hiss. He immediately lets go.
"I was just talking to her." I squint at him in a glaring way and push off to skate away. But a cleverly placed foot prevents my intentions and I go flying through the air. My reflexes suck, but I still saw everything slow down. The floor edged closer to me. Then BANG! A shooting pain sends fire up my nose and shakes my skull. I roll over, hands over my nose.
"My face! My beautiful face!" I scream and I feel someone pulling me. One of the staff that skates around to patrol helps me up.
"You alright man?"
"Yeah, thanks." I mumble and as soon as he leaves, I collapse into Katie's arms.
"Jeez Ethan. What the hell is wrong with you?" She yells, flames in her eyes
"Someone can't take a joke." Suddenly she roars.
"A JOKE? Does this look like a joke to you. I don't care how stupid you sometimes are. But intentionally hurting someone is crossing the line." She growls and takes me to a bench.
"You know you're really sexy when you're mad."
"Shut up." She shoves a bag of ice onto my nose.
~KATIE~
"Katie, why are you here with him?"
"So going roller skating is a crime now?"
"No-"
"Listen, Ethan. We tried us and it didn't work out. Why can't you just accept that?"
"Get your fucking hands off my girlfriend!" And it all went down hill from there.
~~~~~~~~~~~
We sit on his bed with him face down, an ice back shoved between his head and his pillow. He looks up at me.
"I know I don't say it much, but thank you."
"You're nothing but welcome." I kiss his forehead and as I sit up, I notice a small stain on the sheet. "James, is that blood?" I point to it.
He touches it with a finger and smells it
"Nope. Chocolate." He smirks. What is wrong with this kid? My stupid, self centered, irresponsible, yet amazing boyfriend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HI THOUGHT THIS CHAPTER WOULD STIR UP THE CALM WATER😉 MORE TO COME SOON!
🌳🌳🌳🌳🌲🌲🌲🌲🌴🌴🌴🌴