Chapter 1: The Awakening

He opened his eyes and was welcomed by pitch-black darkness. Where was he? That was the first question that came to his mind. He searched his mind for an answer but in vain. He couldn't recall anything. That pushed his panic up another notch. Davis. That was the first word that flew into his mind. After a moment, he realized it was his name. His memory was returning gradually. He took a few deep breaths.

Calm down, Davis.

He was kidnapped by the controller, that much he remembered. The controller whose real name was Contraire, forces hundreds of people to sleep each year. That's because there aren't enough goods and supplies for the whole world; the population is too much. So Contraire invented a powerful drug, Sleeper which puts people to sleep for ten years and also takes care of hunger, thirst and other body functions. He started to call himself the controller. According to him, this was necessary. It was terrible to think so many people would be separated from their families, but it was essential.

A few bright lights on the ceiling turned on. Davis could see more victims like him. All were lying on bunk beds. A few were staring as if not sure where they were. Others were still asleep. A moment later, a door slid open. A bell rang, then paused, then rang again.

They're trying to wake the others, Davis thought.

The ringing continued for a minute or two and then stopped.

"All the sleepers, come upstairs now." An authoritative voice said, perhaps from a speaker fitted on the wall.

The victims started to get out of their bunk beds. Davis also got out. Although he was infuriated with the controller for ruining ten years of his life, he was also delighted that he was going to meet his family. In his mind, flew the pictures of his mother, his father, and his cute, little brother, Randy. Randy was three when Davis was kidnapped. He should be thirteen by now. The victims got out of the door. In front of them was a stairway. There were a lot of steps. Climbing them was really difficult for the other victims. But for Davis, it was like a piece of cake.

"You seem more energized than the others." A Helper said standing at the top of stairs. Helpers were robot workers of Mr. Contraire.

"Yeah. I'm really excited to see my family." Davis said.

"What's your name?"

"Davis."

The Helper's face suddenly grew solemn.

"What?" David asked.

The Helper shook his head.

"All the sleepers, follow me." He said.

Liked it? Show your appreciation by voting!