Uncovered

Two weeks later, Spot and the newsies from all over went to Medda's. Every month since the strike, to celebrate, Medda closed down to everybody except the newsies, and Medda and Alex performed. It was a chance for them to celebrate their victory and unwind for a little while.

As Spot sat down, Jack plunked down next to him and said, "Alex is performing a duet with an old friend that recently arrived. I think you'll like her" Spot nodded. "Maybe."

The lights went down and Alex came out with a beautiful girl with long red hair and clear blue eyes. Her smile was infectious and he couldn't help but smile to.

They sang, and Spot's eyes never left the mysterious girl. He looked at her with bright eyes, a boy who had never looked more happy in his life.

 At last, they finished and all the boys cheered. they stepped down off the stage into the arms of the boys.

Alex plopped herself in Racetrack's lap, and his arm went around her. She leaned in and kissed him. the boys all laughed.

Jack jumped up and pulled the mysterious girl towards them. "Spot, dis be Miss Finley Ruby Harris, also known as Fin." His eyes widened as he realized the truth and laughed.

"You'd think it'd be easier ta see trough da disguise afta Alex." She smiled "yeah, I came ta see ya ta test ma disguise on ya."

He laughed, a little bit of the ever present anger gone. "Good for ya den" The word spread as the night went on, and every newsies in New York knew about Finley Harris, the second ever girl newsie.

Over the next two weeks, she proved that she was to be respected. She showed them that she could be stronger than many of the boys surrounding her.

 Even though she worked at Medda's, she still walked around with the boys. All the Manhattan Newsies treated her like their own, and Brooklyn respected her almost as much as Spot.

As for Spot, he never even thought about her. Sure, they shared a moment at Medda's, but he had a reputation to uphold.  However, one night, all that changed.

As he was heading to the lodgin house, he saw someone on the roof of an old abandoned warehouse near the end of the pier.

He climbed up and was surprised to see Finley on the roof in newsie clothes smoking a cigar and nursing a bottle.

He pulled out his cane and said, "Get lost goil, dis is my territory. No one's aloud here unless I give the say so, and I don't. Not for you."

She only smiled and said "I don't sleep. I didn't want to disturb 'Hattan. Those boys need all the sleep they can get"

He narrowed his eyes and said, "You'se disturbing me leave or I'll soak ya. This place is mine!"

She suddenly grinned maliciously "Well then, lets do it." He tried, but she soaked him, not the other way around. She pulled out a white knife and carved a large "F" on his stomach.

She got up and ran to the edge of the roof. She called "You can't scare someone whos been to hell and back!"