Brooklyn

'Bout a week later, Finley asked Jack a surprising question. "Can you take me to Brooklyn?" She had been wanting to might this "Spot Conlon" since they had mentioned him. He sounded like fun.

Jack looked at her hopeful face and nodded. "Meet me at da bridge when you'se done, awrigh? Wes gotta woik foist, but then we can go."

She sold her papes, then met Jack and started walking the long way to Brooklyn. Obviously, trouble arose as a big boy got in their way on the pier. "Eh stupid we be walkin heah!" the boy glared menacingly. "Where youse going Jacky boy? Manhattan ain't appreciated in dese parts."

Finley laughed "We goin to talk ta Spot." The boy smirked "Not on my watch. He don't wanna be talking to nobody right now" He threw a well-aimed punch, but Fin dodged, grabbed his arm, and flipped him. He landed on his back but jumped up immediately. He tried to hit her face, but she ducked and rammed into his stomach.

He staggered back and she punched him in the nose and jaw, shattering his nose and breaking a tooth. The boy staggered off, yelling expletives. Other boys were laughing and pointing at him.

She heard slow clapping behind he and turned to see a boy with beady eyes and a smirk walk over. She immediately didn't like the look of him. He looked too much like the men who came in the house in New Orleans. He and Jack spit in their hands and shook. He turned towards Fin and said "I'm Spot."

She looked at him, judging him. She suddenly gave a shark like grin, a cover up of the fear she felt inside. "For one so respected, I thought you'd be taller."

 He laughed menacingly. "Where'd ya pick dis one up Jacky boy?" Jack said "Albany Jail, fighting in the streets." Spot nodded. She shook her head, needing to get away from him."Let's Go Jack, he's boring."

She started walking away. Jack ran to catch up with her. "What nerve Fin! So, where next?" She smiled "Medda's"

They walked the whole way there. Her stomach churned at the thought of Spots eyes. they were the eyes of a predator. Slipping through the back door, Fin came face to face with a familiar girl. "Finley Ruby Harris Where have ya been Honey?"

Alexandra threw her arms around her old friend. Medda came down and said "Are you Fin, Oh thank goodness" She smiled. "Medda, I came here to ask about a job. Being a newsboy was only a part time thing until I could get a job as a performer."

Medda nodded enthusiastically "Of course my dear." She hugged her tightly. "Oh, you sre my savior indeed, luv."

She looked around surprised until Alex spoke up. "ive told her all about you and your voice." Fin smiled, "Okay, well that was quick. Thank you so much." She turned back to Jack and gave him a quick hug.

Jack left her to go back to the house, saying that she could stay there. She liked that, knowing she needed to get acquainted with the place quickly. Alex helped her get ready for bed, telling her everything she missed, all about Race and her adventures disguising herself as a boy, and a whole lot more.

She fell asleep to the sound of a very old friend, and she had a sleep filled night for the first time in years.