;; O12

The plan was clear to everyone. Evacuation. Everyone, everywhere. Didn't matter where or who.

I knew the streets I was walking on. Oh, I walked here many times. It wasn't my hometown, but I knew the city. In the beginning, this was where I found all the stuff in my treehouse. Also, people had given me food and money. Begging wasn't something I usually did, but sometimes. Here, on these streets.

Now, I was the one helping people out. Literally. I followed some people, chasing them gently out of town. They had to get out, like really quick. The city could collapse any second.

》 "Heynes, could you get your wings out and get people out of high buildings?" I got Cap asking.

"Jeez Steve, I can't just 'get my wings out', I'll have to be lucky if I jump out of a flat or something," I growled, running into a building.

"Well, don't die," he replied.

》 I ran for the stairs and went up. On my way I checked for the sound of moving people, but there weren't any.

Until I got on the seventh floor. It was when something had happened. The town was collapsing. Or... What was happening? As I stood still, the building started shaking and I heard something break. Next, someone screamed.

It was a young girl's voice that called out for help. I instantly reacted by running down the hallway, looking for the right door. I broke the lock with a dagger and kicked it open. There she stood, panic written all over her face, pointing at a wall that had been moved to another. A little bloody arm stuck out and I realised it must've been her sibling.

The girl was a teenager, near fourteen, I guessed. She was crying in terror over the wall that just crushed her brother or sister.

I got to her and put my hands on her shoulders. "Hey, listen! Listen!" I got her attention and her dark gaze turned to me.

"Okay, what's your name?" I asked, trying to keep myself from pulling her out of the house.

"Lilia," she sobbed, looking at me, obviously not trusting me.

"Okay Lilia, I'm Echo. I'm trying to help, okay? I'm gonna get you out of here," I nodded. She narrowed her eyes, but nodded.

As we walked towards the door, the building shook even more. The wall around the door cracked and it crushed the door, locking us in.

The brunette screamed in fear and pulled away from me. She pushed herself against the window.

》 The window! We were at the seventh floor. That had to be good. I stepped towards her and pulled the window open, with all my might. And it did open. I got onto the windowsill and grabbed her shoulder again.

"We're gonna jump out the window and we're gonna be fine. Okay?" I said. Smooth move. Of course she shook her head.

"We're gonna die," she whimpered. "We're gonna die."

I grabbed her more firmly now, two hands, both of her sides. "Hey, you hear me? We're. Not. Gonna. Die. You just gotta trust me," I said, looking into her eyes and making sure she knew I meant it.

The building started to lower into the ground. It collapsed slowly. I grabbed her under her arms and pulled.

She screamed loudly as we fell, nearly crushing my ears again. I wrapped my limbs around her curled up body and clenched my jaw as my wings tried to escape. They did it faster, I realised. We were at a safe distance from the ground when we stopped falling and went up.

Lilia had stopped screaming and she looked up at me, while I strained my eyes in effort. My wings were strong, but my arms had to keep her close to me.