Chapter 3: Status Quo

sta·tus quo  

/ˈstātəs ˈkwō/ 

Noun 

The existing state of affairs, esp. regarding social or political issues: "they have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo".

Justin's POV

"I already told you Chaz. I can't hang out this weekend. I'm hanging out with Messiah and Pebbles, and working on our health project." I said for the 58th time to one of my closest friends, Chaz Somers. I closed my locker and began to walk off to my first class of the day, English.

"Justin. Blow them off, they're lame."

"No Chaz we have a lot in common."

"We're popular, they're not. We don't socialize with nobodies Justin. They're nobodies. Just come to the fucking party. What are you gonna tell Morgan? That you're blowing her off for Messiah? You know they hate each other."

I turned to face Chaz. I forgot all about Morgan. She always blocked me from doing the things I want to do. I wanted to eat chips, no they have carbs. I wanted to go on a train. No, they have hobos. Like I'm never free to do the things I want to do.

Chaz was trying to get me to keep things in a certain order. Populars were supposed to stay friends with populars, nobodies with nobodies.. Who are we to determine who's cool and who's not? In this case, we were the nobodies. But since all my friends would flip a shit if i blew them off for Messiah, I decided I was going to go.

Messiah would understand, right?

MESSIAH'S POV *the next day*

I woke up, happy as hell. Today Justin was going to play Pebbles and I a song that he had just written, and we were going work on our project for a bit. It felt kind of nice knowing Justin wasn't the jerk that his friends made him out to be.

I walked out of my room and into Pebbles'.

"Wake up bitch." I yelled in her ear, and watched as she freaked out and rolled off the other side of her bed. I began to laugh, I mean it was fucking hilarious. She overreacts to everything.

I heard the door downstairs slam closed, and I quickly hopped in the bed and so did Pebbles. I heard her walking up the stairs, so loud she was inconsiderate if the fact that people in this house were probably still asleep. Bitch.

She came to the top of the stairs, and I could practically smell the alcohol on her breath. She busted her way into Pebbles room, and didn't even say goodmorning. He dirty pink laced bra stuck out of her white tank top, her curly brown hair was matted to the top of her head, and her eyeliner was smeared onto the bottom of her eyes. Mascara dripped onto her cheeks displaying that she'd had a rough night.

"Get the fuck up." She walked towards the bed and yanked Pebbles out of it, I jumped up too. Do not disrespect my sister like that.

"You're jumping up like you're going to do something? What you wanna fight? " I just looked at her. "That's what I thought." And she walked out the room, continuing to push Pebbles down the stairs.

"What mom? What's wrong?" Pebbles cried out, I could tell she was afraid. She didn't need to be as long as I was there.

"Pebbles. What is this shit?" Mom said pointing to the picture Pebbles had painted in her art class, she was an amazing artist.

"It's a picture I painted at school."

"We'll duh dumb fuck. What the fuck is it a picture of?"

"You."