The Story

Nathan woke earlier than he expected. Maxie was awake and watching him with a smile. "Good morning," Nathan said rolling to his side.

"Good morning," Maxie echoed giving him a quick kiss. "So, we have all day to ourselves."

"Yep. Did you have something in mind?"

"Of course! We're in New York and if I don't get some shopping in it will be a total waste. So, what do you say? Are you up for it?"

Nathan raised himself up on one elbow. "Shopping?" He gave her a mock frown. "I suppose if you twist my arm. But I get to take you to breakfast first."

"You're assuming I can be ready in time for the breakfast hours."

"Bad assumption on my part. Brunch then?"

"Deal!" Maxie was out of bed like a shot and in the bathroom before he could say another word. He grinned to himself at her enthusiasm. After the disastrous wedding reception and the very long conversation afterwards, they had managed to salvage the rest of their night with some room service and a bottle of wine. Maxie promised him that she wasn't angry that he didn't tell her about Chelsea and he promised not to leave her in the dark in future situations. He was more than ready to forget anyone and anything to do with that disastrous wedding.

Nathan settled back into the pillows and listened to the shower, waiting his turn. He rolled over and picked up his phone, checking messages. No voice mails but three text messages. Two were from Madeline. He ignored those and skipped to the third one. It was from Josh Conrad, the only friend he probably had left at the NYPD.

Just found out you're in the city. Call me when you get this.

He paused, listening to the shower going full blast in the bathroom. He could afford a quick phone call while Maxie was getting ready. He called Josh who picked up on the second ring.

"Nathan. Thanks for calling. Are you still in the city?" Josh asked tersely.

"Yeah, until tomorrow. Maxie's here with me. We're going-"

"Where are you right now?" Josh interrupted.

"At the hotel."

"Stay there. I need to talk to you. I'll be there in twenty minutes." Josh ended the call, leaving Nathan puzzled. He threw the coverlet back and got out of bed. Maxie emerged from the bathroom with her hair wrapped in a towel and wearing a thick hotel robe.

"Who were you talking to?"

Nathan picked up his discarded shirt and tie from the night before off the floor, laying them over the back of the desk chair. "Josh. He's on his way over here."

Maxie frowned turning away from him to get her makeup bag. "Josh, your friend on the police force here? What does he want?"

Nathan shrugged. "I don't know but it sounds serious." Maxie avoided his gaze, busying herself by digging around in her bag. He touched her shoulder, surprised when she flinched. "I'm sure he just wants to meet my beautiful girlfriend," Nathan added in a comforting tone.

Maxie tried to smile but she didn't look convinced. "Of course. And he hasn't seen you in a while," she added. "Go take your shower. We wouldn't want to be a mess when he shows up."
Nathan showered and dressed quickly. Maxie was sitting by the window, dressed and ready, looking out the window at the street below. Sunlight fell against her, lighting her in a soft glow. Sometimes in the quieter moments like this, he was still stunned that she was his and how much he loved her. There wasn't a thing he wouldn't do for her.

A sharp knock at the door interrupted the moment and they both turned startled gazes towards it. Nathan gave her a reassuring smile, crossing the small room to open the door to Josh. He wasn't alone. A petite woman with large brown eyes and a thin mouth hovered at his elbow. She eyed Nathan with an appraising gaze but remained silent. She was his partner, Nathan realized.