The Promise

Maxie was alone for the moment, sitting in a small interrogation room, waiting for Detective Marinelli to return. She'd told him everything that had happened at the wedding, every detail, including how Scott had tried to force himself on her and what she had done in retaliation. He hadn't been outright rude but she could tell he didn't quite believe her. He finally left the room when someone notified him that her lawyer had arrived.

Josh poked his head in and gave her a quick wink. "You're doing great, hang in there."

"Have you heard from Nathan?" She asked quickly. "Does he know I'm here?"

"No, I haven't heard from him but your lawyer is someone he knows so I think it's safe to say he knows you're here. Just keep cool." He ducked away leaving her alone with her thoughts again. She had gone over that night repeatedly since finding out Scott was dead and tried to pick out some small detail she might have forgotten but nothing came. All she knew was that Scott Chambers was alive when she left him.

Marinelli returned with someone Maxie didn't recognize. He nodded at Maxie and took the seat next to her. Marinelli took in their cordial greeting, raising an eyebrow at them. Maxie returned his arched eyebrow but said nothing.

"Well, Miss Jones now that your lawyer is here, it appears that our time together is at an end." He slid a folder to her along with a pen. "This is your statement so far. I just need your signature and then you're free to go. For now."

Maxie met his gaze. If she had doubts that he didn't believe her before, she knew for certain now. She signed her name quickly and got to her feet, ready to leave. Detective Marinelli shifted to the door and opened it for her. He leaned down, stopping her as she was about to leave the room.

"Miss Jones, make sure you stick around the city for a while. In case we need to talk again," he said. His cell phone rang interrupting him. He looked at the number briefly before adding, "Oh, and tell Nathan stop by when he gets a chance. I think he and I need to catch up on a few things too."

Maxie walked away, hearing him answer his cell phone with a gruff, "Marinelli." The lawyer Nathan had sent followed behind her passing on some advice to her. They stopped at a desk where Eric Holt waited.

"Oh good, you're done. I was afraid-"

"Me too," Maxie said. "Where's Nathan?"

Eric shifted uncomfortably. "You must be hungry," he said avoiding her question. "Come on, I'll take you lunch."

"I just want to go back to the hotel and see Nathan."

"I don't think that's such a good idea. Please, let me take you to lunch Maxie." Maxie gave him a hard stare. Eric diverted his eyes, looking at anything but her. "Really, Nathan said I should take you to lunch."

"Why?" Maxie demanded. Something was wrong. "Did something happen with Chelsea? Come on, Eric. Tell me. I just spent two hours telling the same story to a cop who doesn't believe a word of it. I want to get out of here and see Nathan."

"I'm sorry Maxie. He doesn't want to see you."

Whatever Eric tried to tell her, Maxie ignored. There was no way Nathan didn't want to see her. She made Eric take her back to the hotel where she hurried to the room she shared with Nathan. She opened the door with her keycard, calling for Nathan as she did.

"Nathan! I'm back. Nathan?"

He was standing near the window with his back to the door. At the sound of her voice, he looked over his shoulder at her, giving her a sad gaze. Maxie shut the door behind her and pulled off her coat. Nathan remained immobile at the window, continuing to stare at the skyline.

"Did you talk to Chelsea?" Maxie asked relieved to see him. She threw her purse on the bed and went to him, wrapping her arms around his neck. Nathan's arms remained at his side. She pulled back frowning at him. "Well? What did she have to say for herself?"

Nathan pushed her away gently avoiding her eyes. "Don't worry about that. She's not worth talking about."

"I'm confused. You spent all day with her and she's not worth talking about? Nathan, what is going on? Eric did everything he could to keep me away from here." She followed his gaze to the door where his suitcase and jacket sat as if he were ready to leave. "Talk to me. Please?"

"I can't. I was supposed to be gone before you came back but I-" He stopped choking on the words. He shook himself turning away from her. "Maxie, I'm leaving."

"What? Where are you going?"

"It doesn't matter." He picked up his jacket, pulling it on with his back to her. A tiny burst of anger flared in her. She'd spent all morning answering questions about a murder that she had nothing to do with, doing her best to keep her calm at the same time. The only thing that got her through was thinking about getting back to Nathan and now he was leaving without any explanation or logical reason? None of this was acceptable.

"It does matter Nathan! I've been stuck in an interrogation room all morning and all I wanted was to get back to you! And now you tell me you're leaving? I don't want you to leave!" She gripped his arm holding him back. "Stay here and talk to me."

"I can't," Nathan said. "This is all my fault, Maxie. I should have told you about Chelsea and I shouldn't have brought you here. I'm sorry."

"You're sorry and you can't talk to me?" She dropped her hand from his arm and stepped back. "What did Chelsea say to you? Did she tell you something that made you think I had something to do with Scott's death?"

He finally looked at her, giving her a sad look. "No, Maxie. I know you didn't have anything to do with that. I believe you. I want you to know that. I believe you."

"Then why are you leaving?"

"It's for the best," Nathan said softly dropping his head.

"For who? Not me. I need you, Nathan." She laid her palms on his chest, looking at him with a pleading look. "Stay, please. Tell me what she said that is making you act like this."

Nathan covered her hands with his, shaking his head. "I can't tell you. Maxie, I don't want to hurt you."

"You're hurting me anyway."

"I don't-" He broke off grabbing his suitcase. He opened the door and turned to leave. "I have to go. You're better off right now without me. I called Diane Miller. She's on her way. "

"I can't believe this. You're just going to ditch me and go home? I never would have thought you would be so selfish." She stepped back, feeling like someone had just plunged a knife in her gut. "Go on then. Go home. I don't care. I don't need you anyway."

Nathan slammed the door shut and whirled on her, his face a mixture of anger and desperation. "I'm selfish? You don't know what you're talking about. I'm doing all of this for you; to keep you safe and out of prison. I don't want to leave but it's our only option."

"Why?" Maxie demanded again. "Because of Chelsea?"

"Yes, because of Chelsea. Do you trust me?" Nathan shot back. Maxie blinked in surprise. He grabbed her shoulders, pulling her close once more. "Do you trust me?" He repeated.

"Of course I trust you-"

He cut her off with a fervent kiss. She tried to wrap herself into him but he broke away, holding her at arm's length. "I don't want to leave but for now I have to. I can't be with you for a little bit but it's just temporary."

She slumped in acceptance. There was nothing for her to do but let him go. "Promise you'll come back to me?"

"I promise I'm coming back to you. As soon as I can." He touched her cheek lightly and gave her a half smile before leaving her alone in their hotel room.