The Surprise

They both stood frozen staring at each other. Maxie took in the towel and the water dripping off him with a quick flick of her eyes. She heard his words at the hotel room echo in her head. Do you trust me, he had asked. She did. She trusted him more than she had ever trusted anyone in a very long time. He promised he was coming back to her too. She just had to trust him.

"I guess I don't need to ask since you're here," Maxie said locking eyes with him. "When did you decide to do this?" She held up a hand. "No don't answer that. I don't want to know."

"Max, what are you doing here?"

"I came to confront your ex, you know tell her to back off because we're together but it turns out I was just making a fool of myself." Maxie glanced over her shoulder at Chelsea. She was watching the two of them with a satisfied smirk. Maxie had the idea that Chelsea had hoped for a scene like this. She turned back to Nathan and gave him a searching look. "I shouldn't have come. I can see you're busy."

"This isn't what it looks like. Let me explain-"

"There's nothing to explain," Chelsea cut in before Nathan had a chance to continue. She stalked over to him and wrapped herself around him. "Obviously, you interrupted us while we were getting reacquainted with each other. You've had your say and now you know that James and I are together now. There simply isn't any need for you to stay."

"You're right."

Maxie turned on her heel and made it to the door before Nathan could get free from Chelsea. He caught her at the door, gripping her elbow. She looked at him over her shoulder, hoping to get a clue of what he wanted from her. She absolutely trusted him but marrying his ex just seemed so out of the blue.

"Maxie, this isn't how I wanted you to find out." He gave her an earnest look that made Maxie pause. "I wanted to tell you privately."

"James!" Maxie and Nathan both looked at Chelsea. Her eyes were narrowed in a dark scowl and her arms were folded across her chest. "I thought we agreed that we would tell everyone together."

"Stay out of this. Maxie deserves to know why."

"No, she doesn't! Don't you dare."

"Fine but there is something I need to ask." Nathan turned back to her, the corners of his mouth turned up in amusement. Whatever Maxie was expecting a sly smile from Nathan wasn't it. "Will you do me a favor? Will you call my mom and let her know? I'm not sure I'll have a chance and she's always liked you."

"You want me to call your mom and tell her you're marrying someone else?" Maxie asked giving him a sharp look. His mom. He never referred to Madeline that way and she certainly wouldn't care to hear the news from Maxie.

"Yes, call my mom. Please." He returned her sharp gaze with a pointed one of his own. "She should know in case she wants to come. She loves society parties like The Nurse's Ball."

He was talking about Liesl, Maxie realized suddenly. He wanted Liesl to come to New York. She wasn't exactly sure why, but it was obvious that he was up to something and she needed to trust him. As long as he didn't really intend to marry that witch Chelsea, Maxie decided firmly, then she would do whatever he asked.

"All right, I will." She gave him a narrow gaze. "Oh, Detective Marinelli wants to see you. You should probably see him as soon as you can."

"I will."

"Well, congratulations then." Maxie gently pulled her arm out of Nathan's hand. "I need to go."

"I'm sorry it happened this way, Maxie. If there was another way-"

Maxie shook her head, interrupting him. "No, don't. I'll be okay. Trust me." She gave him one last look and left. Trust me. The phrase kept echoing in her head. She did trust him despite the fact that he had told her he was marrying another woman. She left the building with the hope that Nathan knew what he was doing.