Chapter Eighteen: Positive

The next day was largely spent with Jack at the police station talking with the other investigator. His captain had finally returned, and he was speaking with him as well. Sam was feeling puffy, so she decided to go into the gym to work out.

She was on the elliptical machine when she heard two women speaking with each other.

“Oh my, God, did you hear about Janice?”

“Oh my, God, how could she have gotten herself into such a mess?! She was in the middle of a cover shoot too.”

“Do they know who the father is?”

“It was probably that producer. Anyhow, she is devastated.”

“How far along is she?”

“She hasn’t had her period for four months! How the whore didn’t know she was pregnant is beyond me.”

Sam’s blood stopped cold within her body, as her mind began to whirl. Since she had been a dancer when she was little she never had a regular period. However, when she started eating and not practicing ballet, she had started a normal cycle. And now she could not recall when she had her last period. Jumping off the machine, going to a pharmacy to procure a test, and then going directly home she was shaking and worrying. What if she was pregnant? This would be the worst time. Her mother had just passed; her father was in jail, and Jack had not exactly declared himself.

Before she took the test, she walked over to her calendar and checked her start and end cycles. She looked back to when her and Jack started sleeping together a few months ago, and her last period was exactly two weeks before they had sex in the shower! And if memory served her correctly his penis had been naked and wet.

“Oh, God!” she whispered.

She had no idea when Jack would be home, so she quickly took one of the dozen tests she bought and read the instructions.

Pee on the stick, cover the tip with a cap, and then wait three minutes.

She went into the bathroom and did just that, during her wait time, she thought of what she would do. Would she tell anyone? If she was pregnant, she would be exactly three months along, so she would start to show soon.

Hearing the timer go off she stood and looked at the test. The little lines were both stark red. She picked up the now empty box and saw it was positive!

“No, no.”

So she repeated the process three other times and came up with the same results. Shaking she looked into the mirror and flattened her shirt against her slightly rounded belly. She had a little person inside of her. She had half of herself and half of Jack within her.

What would Jack say? She had no idea how she was going to tell him. Hearing the front door warning sound go off, she quickly took all the used and unused tests and shoved them under her sink.

Trying to place a calm demeanor upon her face, she smiled when Jack finally did walk into the room.

“Hi,” she said with a squeak to her voice.

“Hi, are you all right? You look a little flushed.”

“I just got home from the gym,” she stated.

“Why are you going to the gym? You look great,” he said in bewilderment.

“I’m, uh, getting a little puffy, and my clothes are not fitting right.”

He walked over to her and grabbed her from behind touching her belly, stiffening slightly, because some moronic demon made her think he could feel the baby, he said, “You feel a bit bigger, but I like a little more meat on you.”